Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Got a B-1 (updated1-18: Running!)

GWGAllisfan

Saturday my daughter and I took a most of the day trip to to get a B1, which gives me one of every foot-dragger series. This one was reported to have been in a garage for the last few decades, so despite the dust and some rust, it's in fairly good shape. The deck that came with it was one of the bolt together type, so I think this is a really early model B-1. Pictures:
[img]/club2/attach/GWGAllisfan/100_3589_B1_Left.jpg[/img]
Left side
[img]/club2/attach/GWGAllisfan/100_3590_B1_right.jpg[/img]
The right side
[img]/club2/attach/GWGAllisfan/100_3591_B1_front.jpg[/img]
Front
[img]/club2/attach/GWGAllisfan/100_3593_B1_engine.jpg[/img]
Engine area. I think this would be a 19D? I need to get a parts list for this one, it uses the old points box with a button to stop it without a key
[img]/club2/attach/GWGAllisfan/100_3594_B1_dash_Area.jpg[/img]
The dash area is pretty decent, no holes. First order of business is oil for the engine and since it appears to have compression and possible spark, see if it will run, although I would bet a carb rebuilt will be mandatory. Just glad to have found one in reasonable driving distance.

Even still has the points cover piece on the frame. It looks like the hood has some bending but the grill is spotless. Very nice save...dOddOd

Nice tractor Randy.Is that the one that was on CL? It is a later B-1 going by the gas tank and air cleaner. It should use a key switch as a ground instead of the push buttom ground. Exactly like the one I sold.. I wouldnt restore that one IMO..

I've been watching for a good B-1 for several years now, I can never find them with the original engine:( If yours has the square points cover with the push button on it, then your engine is a model 19, not a 19D. The 19D had the same points as the later cast iron briggs. A model 19 engine suggests earlier production as I beleive the later ones had a "19D." Though Matt is correct, you do have the later air cleaner, the earliest ones had an oil bath type.

I'm not an expert on the B-1's but I also second the later model dating due to both the fuel tank and air filter as well as the taller steering colum. Left hand deck lift arm appears to be an owner add on. I'd make sure to check out the rubber driveshaft isolaters before running it much! Very nice original!

Thanks everyone. It may be later model than I thought. It does have the keyswitch, but also has the old pushbutton stop on the points cover. I haven't looked deep enough on the engine for a serial number yet. Does any one has a parts list for one of these engines? I couldn't find one on line last night. I haven't had time to do anything with it yet. Glad someone noticed the left side deck lift. It is clearly a previus owner add-on, but actually works pretty good, geometry is about right, makes the deck lift straight up. If he'd just put a split link in it so the deck could be removed easily...... Matt, this was the one on Craigslist.

quote:
Originally posted by GWGAllisfan
Thanks everyone. It may be later model than I thought. It does have the keyswitch, but also has the old pushbutton stop on the points cover.
i believe all the older models briggs 7hp engines had that style points cover. since they where also used on other machinery...

Randy, Give me your e-mail address and I will send you copies of the Model 19 parts list that BLT gave me some time ago. Don't think he will mind. My e-mail is "rlpope@musfiber.com".

The engine numbers are on the front of the engine behind the grill. Your square points cover indicates a magnamatic ignition system, the model 19 has the magnamatic while the 19D has the later style ignition, two very different engines. If the B-1 mirrors the production of the 725, then according to the engine information reference from Simplicity, the model 19 Type # 706047 was used from 1961 to 1962. Then in 1963 the 19D was used, Type# 0124-02.

• 2 weeks later...
It's running now. All it took was a points cleaning to turn the spark from barely feel to about 1/4" spark. I had almost given up, but decided to run the cardstock through the points one more time. It would run then, but only on gas poured in the carb. Tooke the carb apart, expecting to find it all full of corruption, but it was clean. All it needed was a new float needle, and it fired right off and ran, with just a little mixture screw adjustment. It puffs a little smoke when it first starts, but then none at all. I did get a surprise when i found the keyswitch wire wasn't connected to anything, so I have to fix that, but that red button on the points does a fine job. I was able to fdrive around the yard. The steering is almost perfect, no slack in the ball joints. Gearbox smooth. When I just tried putting the mower in gear, the engine loaded up, and the belt popped. when I tryed to turn the blades by hand, they would go 1/2 turn then stop. I should have taken a picture of what i found when i took the covers off. Turned out that 1/2 a walnut shell had jammed between the belt and pulley. Got it out and all turns free... Overall a good tractor afternoon.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Jac
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site maintenance scheduled to begin 10a CDT on 3/16/24
      · 0 replies
  • Adverts