Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Valspar paint

ac.d17iv

I've been doing research on paint for my 1978 AC 712H. From what I've read on the forum, it appears that AC's, from the 300 series through 900 used corporate orange. The farm tractors switched from persian orange #2 to corporate orange in 1978 with updates to the 7000 series farm tractors. I read some topics related to valspar on the forum and have found that the JD guys use valspar restoration series a lot. I contacted valspar on what color their "AC Orange" represents and they responded with corporate orange. From what I've read, valspar restro series, with their hardener from TSC and a hvlp gun produces good results. I'm going to try it this spring. Just thought I would share my research so far. http://www.valsparglobal.com/val/resident/agricultural/restoration/index.jsp

Im glad to hear this... i wondered about the allis orange vs persian orange... I have used the rattle can Valspar Allis Orange on my 310 and I think it matches VERY WELL! you will be better with the hardner and a spray gun as the rattle can enamel is not happy to be sanded for at least months!!

I've used DupliColor DE-1620 for mine and it's a darned-near exact match. My 2nd one is sitting in the shed hardening over the winter before I resume restoration in the spring. So if you get something mixed up that crosses to 1620 you are probably going to be happy with it. How it turned out: [url]http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/nn102/csa_forever_2008/Allis/[/url]

I was told by an AGCO dealer that their paint is made by Valspar as well. Below are the part numbers from the AGCO dealer. The paint dries faster than the TSC version. You can also use the TSC harder as well. Since it can be handled faster than the TSC paint, I will ony buy from the dealer. Also the TSC paint seem to stay soft for alot longer period of time than the dealer paint. Corporate Orange Quart 79014782 Corporate Orange Gallon 79014781 http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=105355 The black on this is from TSC. I have the corporate orange from dealer and am waiting on spring so I can do another.

Great looking paint job! Did you wet sand and buff/polish your last coat of paint? Was your paint applied with a HVLP gun? I agree, sticking with Agco paint is probably the best approach. I have the same situation as you, about a 80 mile one way trip to my dealer. The Valspar Restro series (not regular Vaslpar TSC paint in the green can) is easier access for me and appears to be good too. I'm going to wait until Spring, so I'm sure I'll make a trip to my dealer to see what they have. I read in your other post that you were going to work on a AC 916 next. Any pictures?

I painted my 2 post hydraulic lift with the Valspar IH red with the hardener from Tractor Supply. A gallon of paint and the hardener were $60. I was very happy with the results.

quote:
Originally posted by ac.d17iv
Great looking paint job! Did you wet sand and buff/polish your last coat of paint? Was your paint applied with a HVLP gun? I agree, sticking with Agco paint is probably the best approach. I have the same situation as you, about a 80 mile one way trip to my dealer. The Valspar Restro series (not regular Vaslpar TSC paint in the green can) is easier access for me and appears to be good too. I'm going to wait until Spring, so I'm sure I'll make a trip to my dealer to see what they have. I read in your other post that you were going to work on a AC 916 next. Any pictures?
I didn`t wet sand the last coat. It shines real good. Although I think I may wet sand and polish this spring to get a couple minor imperfections out of the hood. But it isn`t really necessary. I used a spray gun. I have a dealer 15 miles from my house. He would not order the paint for me. I needed a quart of Deutz Allis spring green. When they ship the paint in quarts to the AGCO dealers they come in a box that hold 4 quarts. When they order 1 gallon they have to buy two. I kind of understand him not wanting a couple quarts of spring green around if they would not sell, but he gave the same line on the corporate orange. I wish that I would have bought a gallon because a quart wasn`t enough. The AC 916H will either be a spring or summer project this year. I have everything to do it just need sandblasting done and some warm weather.

The Valspar paint matches "corporate orange" very close. But the AC garden tractors were "Powder Orange" (#1685591). The Valspar looks original until you get it next to an actual original paint. The "powder orange" has a little more red in it and has a "deeper" look. The Simplicities used "Deep Orange" (#1685612).

quote:
Originally posted by MikeES
The Valspar paint matches "corporate orange" very close. But the AC garden tractors were "Powder Orange" (#168559). The Valspar looks original until you get it next to an actual original paint.
Was this true for the Allis built 3/400's? It seems the AC's got darker later???