Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis 917 / Kohler M-18 Fuel in Crankcase

kenmill1958

My recently re-engined 917 with a Kohler M-18 is filling the crankcase with fuel. I know in most cases the float can cause this condition. I am not too familiar with these engines and fuel pumps. I thought the fuel pump might cause this also. Any help much appreciated. Thanks Ken

I think it has to do with the positioning of the fuel tank (and gravity) and you MUST put a fuel shut-off on before the carb....and never forget to use it. I have forgot twice and discovered my mistake when I needed my snowthrower most! Ended up doing oil changes while a blizzard roared outside. Fortunately, both times I had oil in stock.

Hmmmm. I've never had that problem with my 917, 7117, or Scag. I would try replacing/rebuilding the fuel pump-----it should block the gravity feed of the fuel tank if everything is clean and working in it.

If the bottom of the gas tank is above the top of the carb, then you don't even need a fuel pump. One common reason for fuel in the crankcase is a leaking diaphram in the fuel pump. I eliminated the fuel pump on one Kohler engine I have and it ran even better than with it, because the carb was below the gas tank. Another problem is a leaking needle valve, which can be counterracted by putting a shut-off valve between the tank and the carb. I thought the M18 had the electric shut-off valve in the carb, or am I mistaken. If it does, make sure it is working when the engine is shut down.