Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Les

I guess that the Arapahoe were right after all

Les
Many of us who were were born on, and live in the Great Plains have an affinity for the culture and wisdom of the Native Americans who preceded us here. Whether real or imagnined, the spirit of the American Indians' knowlege and culture have a profound impact on our lives. Only once have I doubted the ancient wisdom. The Arapahoe used to say "Only the rocks live forever." Well the Arapahoe didnt know anything about Allis-Chalmers garden tractors! For 34 years, the faithful B-112 has never failed to give service, alas.... until now. For the first time, this all-original progeny of the great Milwaukee and Port Washington engineering groups has, ever so sadly, failed to start. Even though new points and condenser were provided, there was no spark. Even though current flows through the wire, the new spark plug does not function. It is a sad day, yes the Arapahoe were right, even Allis-Chalmers garden tractors do not live forever.

SmilinSam
Say Les, Why dont you just purt a good old Kohler battery ignition on it and get back to work. Keep Smilin, Sam

SmilinSam
If its purely an ignition problem it should. I have done it with three Briggs that just went belly up sparkwise. One had a partially sheared key we later found out which had thrown the briggs ingnition timing off. Another was like you described, we decided the mag must be bad and made the switch rather than take the engine out. Its not hard to do, easier than ripping the engine out to diagnose the real problem. I generally try to use a stock Kohler setup . I have used the briggs condenser without problems in one tractor for two years now. Give it a whirl what could it hurt to try? Just make sure your points are not grounding out on someting first, or that there is a problem with the plunger- been to both places on that. If you do try the Kohler way you will need a kohler keyswitch and will have to do some minor wiring. Sam