Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs Model 19 - Heat Shield Dimensions

Glen112

I want to make a heat shield for the Model 19 on my Simplicity 725. From recent and archived posts, I have figured out that they look like this:

Susposedly it attaches to the front of the engine to two head bolts. If someone could provide the dimensions indicated on the drawing (A thorugh K) I would appreciate it. I could probably wing it and get close just from the picture and making it fit, but it would be nice to make it as close to "spec" as the original. Dimensions "I" and "J" are from the back edge to the first head bolt hole and between bolt holes. I have assumed that the bolt holes are centered, front to back (one-half of dimension 'H"), but if it is different, please let me know. Any other dimensions or details I have missed that could be provided would also be appreciated. I am sure that there are dozens of these floating around out there in tractor land, so someone should be able to provide me with the measurements. Thanks in advance. Glen

Thanks Maynard. This is exactly what I needed. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly (as you always do). I did not realize that these were common desk accessories and could be found in a desk drawer sm01. I could use a couple clarifications on the dimensions though: Are the bolt holes along the top centered front to back in the 2-1/4" wide top strip, or are they closer to the front or back edge? I assume that "K" dimension is 6-3/8" (5-1/4 + 1-1/8), correct? I assume, from adding and subtracting, that my "E" dimension is 3", correct? And finally, what is the thickness of the metal. I have read that these are quite heavy so I am assuming it is about 1/8" thick, right? Thanks again, Glen

Double check measurements I changed a couple. Material is 1/16" Bolt holes are 3/8" to center from back edge and are 3/8" dia A = 5 1/16" B = 5 1/16" C = 1 13/16" D = 2 1/2" E = 2 1/2" F = 2 1/8" G = 1 15/16" H = 2 1/4" I = J = 1 3/8" K = 6 5/16" overal width looking from top 7" I think I have everything right