Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

HB-212 BATTERY PROBLEMS

swank1

Can someone possibly point me in the right direction ? My HB-212 that I have been woking on for a while now (uhg) . Last night couldn't start it we had allot of snow so went to wal-mart bought a new battery . Well it still would hardly turn over with the new battery . So I pulled my full size van over and put my jumper cables on and I put the cables on HB-212 1 to the pos. side of battery and the other on frame the one to frame was throwing sparks when I tried to ground it to the battery or frame and it dimmed my headlights on my running van . So any ideas on what may be causing this can my starter/gen be bad or is voltage reg shot ?? I did get it started after I ran the cable directly to selnoid but when I shut it off it wouldn't start again even that I had it running for over an hour . Please your imput will be very helpful !!!! Thank You Brian

First step clean all cable connections between Battery and Starter Gen and Battery to ground connections. If still does not turn over your starter is dragging, internal short.

You may have a bad cable. While cranking on just the battery in the tractor, wiggle the cables around to see if the engine speeds up any or if any cable end gets warm or hot. This is an indication of a corroded cable inside and will have to be replaced.

What wt. oil are you useing? You need to use 10W-30 I believe. If your oil is too thick, it will cause your motor to turn over very hard. This will also happen if it is just really cold. My B212 did this when it got real cold last year so we had to pull it with the tractor to get it started. Also, try clutching it while turning it over. If it starts while clutched then stalls when you release the clutch, then you have water in the tranny. Just a suggestion.

quote:
If it starts while clutched then stalls when you release the clutch, then you have water in the tranny. Just a suggestion.
Letting the clutch out when engine is cold and stalling is not an indication of water in the Transmission. It is an indication of a cold engine that needs more choke and warmed up and cold thick 90wt oil in Transmission.

By water in the transmission, do you mean BGB? I am alos having trouble starting mine. I changed the engine oil to 10-30 Mobil 1 and the Hydro with the stuff Simplicity sells (pretty thick). I haven't changed the BGB yet.