Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Another Rare Oddball

grnlark

I found out about this tractor from a friend that saw it at an estate sale last weekend. Apparently nobody wanted it. I contacted the estate coordinator suprisingly to find out it was still there. It's a Bready tractor made from 1959-1961. Not only is it in amazing condition, but it's an original electric start. The Bready club doesn't even have one registered member with an original electric start model. It's a Briggs motor with a Borg Warner T92 three speed trans. I haven't tried starting it yet - I want to do a full tune up first, but man I think it's cool!

Very clean tractor! It looks like it has springs on the front spindles, is that correct? The engine is also pretty uncommon, having what appears to be a belt starting system but with a more basic starter rather than a generator.

Very nice find. The engine is worth the effort to retrive it. Nice find on the starter too. It's hard to find those with the belt gaurds still in place.

quote:
Originally posted by xenon172
Super find! What are the numbers on the engine?
The Briggs engine numbers are as follows: Model 143307, Type 502693, Serial 198176.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
Very clean tractor! It looks like it has springs on the front spindles, is that correct? The engine is also pretty uncommon, having what appears to be a belt starting system but with a more basic starter rather than a generator.
Yeah, it's really neat - the front end is spring loaded. Guys in the Bready Group on Yahoo have confirmed the 143 Briggs is original to the tractor. Apparently the electric start is pretty rare for these machines.

Matt, I think you have the rare and unusual category nailed! You're going to run out of space soon too! That looks as though a thorough bath bath and a coat of wax would all that's needed to bring it back to a shine! Definitely not something you see everyday.

Wow, what a cool find! Anyone know how this starter drive works? It looks to be belt drive so it must have a (over running?)clutch in the snout rather than a bendix right?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• BLT
    • JMK's gardentractor
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts