Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

cold feet plowing snow

toad270

Does anyone else get cold feet when outside for a while? I was out plowing snow the other night and my feet were cold. I've always had this problem. I went to work and was talking to a guy that is a duck hunter. He had the same problem and his dad told him that he should put a pair of polyester socks (like dress socks) then wool over them. I didn't have any wool so I just put on my normal cotton socks my feet stayed alot warmer tonight while plowing. I wish I knew this a long time ago. Had a great time plowing but no one around to take any pics sorry guys.

i worked in a gravel pit in new hampshire for years. several of the guys said to wear panty hose under long johns and i'd be real warm.(probably because of embarrassment!) anyway, i never did try it. instead i moved to florida. and the weather geeks say we may get snow in the Tampa area!!! who'd have thought...

I got real, real cold feet in the days and weeks before my wedding. Maynards advice is good, I would never have gotten to the point of cold feet if I had made a habit out of wearing a hat.

I heard socks that "wick" away moisture under your wool socks are the best. You need to get the moisture away from your skin. You can find those at any outdoor supplier like Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas. Wal-Mart might even have them in their camping department.

I'm with Erik on this cold feet thing, mine are warmer at 40 below then dealing with the 'love' factor.:D Just wondering Erik, how would have wearing a hat kept your feet warm before you got barried.

Good boots worked for me. I got some surplus Mickey Mouse boots and haven't had a problem since. They aren't stylish but working out in the cold isn't either.

Boots plenty big for your feet so there's room for air in there. Also, Home Depot sells (at the register) these orange packs with hand/foot warmers in them. Cheap, might be worth a try.

I always had cold feet even as a kid and it kind of ruins the day. Now I get those little packets and shove one up inside both boots and they work great. At first I have to kind of keep my toes off because they are so hot but after 20 mins its nice and warm.

quote:
Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy
Boots plenty big for your feet so there's room for air in there.
My current boots (wolverine bog horn) have the composite (not steel) toe and the toe box is huge. I'm convinced the larger space is the reason my feet are never cold anymore. I only wear one pair of socks (any type) and it's all good.

Would it be completely crazy to figure out how to duct some of the hot air coming off the cylinder head, route it through a pair of those flexible ducts you can buy at auto parts stores, and direct it in to little enclosures that you'd put your feet in? Just a simple shroud to go part way around your feet would be plenty I'd think.

I was thinking if copper tubing was wrapped around the muffler and hooked up to a heater core. Filled with antifreeze/mixture. and ran a fan on it, would that produce enough heat? M<y Dad did that with our big ole wood furnace on the farm. We had plenty of hot water in the winter

I've worked outside in winter most of my life and find a good pair of insulated boots (such as snowmobilers wear)to be well worth the money. I have a pair of Redwings with goretex and thinsulate, that are not only warm but waterproof. As for pantyhose, a lot of football player wear them.....think Joe Namath....and nobody laughs at them.

quote:
I am on my second set of Sorrels in thirty years. Cozy & be a tad clumsy, nice thick felt liners.
After getting frostbite while ice fishing in Vermont in 1985 I invested in a pair Sorrels. I still got the original pair and warm feet to boot. jh

Good socks and insulated boots. I have a pair of boots from LL Bean, they are warm and dry. Now If I had a cab I could keep the snow off me when using the blower.

I get cold feet and ankles thanks to some meds I'm on. I have also found the military surplus Bunny Boots to be the answer. I would like to try some heated socks and see how they work. The heat packs sound good and I might have to try them. Chris

While I was in the Army National Guard we had "winter" camp one year at the end of Jan early Feb instead of the normal summer camp. We were issued the white "mickey mouse" boots for use while we were in the field but had to wear our combat boots at garrison. It was suggested that we were a pair of our dress socks under a pair of wool socks inside combat boots. Suprising how well this works as long as the boots and socks stay dry. Still do this today. Greg