Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Too Much Weight?

JohnMBerst

I would like better understand what all of you "snow-blowers" use for rear weight. I know my 5200 is a large lawn tractor, and I have a 36" blower on the front. Over the years have added wheel weights, (guess 30# each) and chains. This year thought I would continue the upgrade and added a formed plate which bolts to were the rear hitch mounts. It is 3/16 thick, and about 14" wide by 10" deep. Have mounted a fiberglass/plastic box to the plate shelf, and have added about 70# of softener salt and bar weigh inside it. With me being about 150#, I think this should be OK for the tractor. My concern is to make sure the rear axle will be fine. Using the blower I have a number of hills to drive, and this sure helped with wheel spin. The 2 1/2 hours of seat time last Thursday night went well. I sure love the H..l out of doing the neighborhood drives and a bit of my yard. Glad to be here and use the vast knowledge this group has. Makes me want to find another tractor. PS Jackson had the most snow in the area, so my fun was enhanced...... Thanks

I am sure you will be fine with what you have on there. If you were plowing you would want to be a little more careful due to the added stress in the drive train. That being said I have a friend that is upwards of 300 lbs who uses a 6200 series with a snowblower and added weight on the back. So I think you will be fine.

I made a bracket for my rear of my 7790 tractor it holds 4 suitcase 35# weights. Also have 75# wheelweights on it works great. Tire chains are a good help using the blower also.

I don't know how much weight hanging on the tractor frame would be too much. I personally believe that weight on the wheels is much better because it puts no extra strain on the axle bearings and suspension. That being said, even the old yeomans and broodmoors had a large steel weight (factory made) that hung off the back, and I would guess this weight must have weighed over 50 pounds. I have 65 pounds of wheel weights on each wheel of my Allis 810GT, and I go about 225. With chains, I don't spin much at all except on glare ice and then only because I am trying to move fast ( not enough patience sometimes I am afraid). I don't think I would go much heavier on the back weight in your case, if anything, put fluid in the tires, which will add 8 - 12 pounds per gallon depending on what you put in there. All of this is, of course, jmho. Steve

The tractors others are talking about (7790, 6200, and 810GT) are all garden tractors with heavier cast-iron transmissions. The 5200's are a "lawn tractor" just as you mention. Is your tractor a gear drive or hydro? I just checked the parts book and the 5200 gear drive has a peerless 800 series transmission, I think the hydro axle might be bit tougher? I think you'll be OK with what you've got but I don't think I'd add anymore weight.

Yes it is a 5 speed gear drive. I guess that with the 70# seemed to be about the max in my head. Thinking I'll try this winter to see how it works, and perhaps back off 10# and see how it works. Thanks.