Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Simpleton7016

Paint longevity (SImp-v-Allis-v-Wards)

Simpleton7016
I have fun restoring different items for these machines. So far, I have done a few decks, a sprayer, a revitalizer, an EZ Rake and a bunch of sickles. Most everything has been simplicity orange. Electrolysis takes rust off no problem, but any remaining paint usually needs to be scrubbed off with a wire brush. And many times, the parts need to get a second cycle in the tank to remove all paint. This last week, I have been de-rusting an original gold Montgomery Wards sickle bar that I am restoring for Bob. Let me tell you....that gold paint is bonded to the metal infinitely better than the Simplicity orange, Allis Yellow or MacKissic green. Got me wondering where were the private label models like the Montgomery Wards and JC Penney painted? I can't believe that they were painted at the same facility as Simplicity or Allis Chalmers and then shipped out. The gold paint is bonded excellently, and every JC Penney that I have ever seen has awful paint remaining.

jlasater
Probably something similar to the white paint on the fan of my '64 Datsun Roadster. The sandblasting cabinet I have took quite a while to remove the paint. Tough stuff.

xenon172
I also have seen big differences in paint toughness from brand to brand although I don't know why. Perhaps different paint manufactures did different colors for the best price. Maybe the chemical makeup for the color itself had something to do with it. I just wonder what the paint we use on our restorations will look like in 20 or 30 years and is it as good as the original.

Blazerjeepman3
Remember when they changed the chemical combination of auto paints in 86/ 87. Seems to me there was a great reduction in the lead content. Paint on the 87 models turned out terrible, then they got better in later years.