Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cheap Wheel Weights

Architectdave

Here is a little how to on the wheel weights I just made. Started by pulling off a rear wheel.

Went to Home Depot and grabbed a 10" piece if sonotube.

The 10" fits perfect in the wheel of my 3314. Cut it off at 7" which will be 6.5" when the plywood backer is removed.

Next I cut the backer out of plywood and marked and drilled the bolt holes and center hole. I stapled the sonotube to the plywood and used a piece of drawing tube holder that was the size of the center circle for the axle tube clearance. Inserted some threaded rod and held it with some nuts. I also bent the rod over since it is so close to the edge of the concrete.

Wash rinse and repeat for the second one.

2 hours after I started I all filled with concrete, took almost one full 80 lbs bag.

Tuesday I can strip the forms and see if they work.

Nice creative work Dave. Should work well. Looks like you designed a Lamp Post base, nice when your' job' skills can be used at home.

quote:
Originally posted by Storm7012
Neat idea, but I'll stick with the easy way....washer fluid.
Storm, about how much washer fluid can you get into each tire? Jim...

quote:
Originally posted by JimH
quote:
Originally posted by Storm7012
Neat idea, but I'll stick with the easy way....washer fluid.
Storm, about how much washer fluid can you get into each tire? Jim...
I've got 5 gal in each, but a buddy of mine swears he's got 8 in each of his on a B-112 he has. I think 5gal and my big butt is plenty....:D

Update, well I goofed. Forgot my garage gets to freezing at night sometimes. Now some of you probably know that concrete create its own heat thru the hydaration process and usually by covering fresh concrete in the winter it wont freeze. Well there wasn't enough heat in this little mix and the concrete froze enough to ruin the set up. I will reuse the plywood and the studs and make a new batch next weekend. Next time Im going to build a little rigid insulation box to put them in and put a light bulb in there so they dont freeze....

Dave, Didn't Windham get down to around 3 or 4 this past weekend. At least the Oxford Hills area did. Sorry to hear of your troubles, I am sure the light buld trick and maybe a tarp over the forms will work. Rick........

This looks like a great idea, and I may try to copy it myself if you dont have a patent;). Sorry to hear about the freeze problem, I think this winter has been colder than most winters for all of us so far. Looking forward to seeing them on your tractordOddOd. Greg

Rick - yeah its been in the single numbers for a while little warmer in the sun. No worries on the bad mix I can make new ones pretty quick. Michigan mobile man - I hope it works out for you. Im dying to get them on the tractor also.