Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
peterinbrooklyn

16hp worth it?

peterinbrooklyn
Went and looked at a 16hp single cylinder out of a Dayton Garden Tractor...motor prolly needs rebuilt but he said he would take $30 bucks for it...anybody know if this would fit my Wards Squire 9 and if so is it worth rebuilding as I have a good 12hp briggs in it now

Chris727
I would buy it for that price, even just for parts. IMO, 9hp is plenty for the squire, I use the lower HP engines in the older 3 speed machines, and save the 32 cube (14-16hp) engines for longwheelbase tractors that need more power for the 48" decks and hydrostats. The 16hp is a great engine. I think if you're happy with the 12 you should stick with it, and look for a second tractor to put the 16 into.

Blazerjeepman3
I have 3314V with the 32 cube 14 HP. What is the differnce in the 16HP /32 cube engine that is in the later models.Is the head different for more compression or the cam with higher lift ?

sbull78
it is a horizontal shaft briggs...it is missing the dipstick and spark plug...the guy said it had about 40lbs of compression when he pulled it but judging the rest of his junk it would be lucky to have that...i also looked at this motor and it does turn over by hand with a terrible, terrible grinding scraping noise...it is worth 30 bux to me as i told pete, but i also think he should do a full teardown on it and redo anthing needed...

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by Blazerjeepman3
I have 3314V with the 32 cube 14 HP. What is the differnce in the 16HP /32 cube engine that is in the later models.Is the head different for more compression or the cam with higher lift ?
The engine has a gross horsepower rating of 16 BHP @ 3600 RPM and a net shaft rating of 14BHP @ 3600RPM. This is a common rating statement for all engine manufactures. All horsepower is advertised with out any parasitic loads, ie fans, alternators, P/S pumps and so one. Briggs is subtracting the power it takes to cool the engine at there is where you get the net rating.