Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

torque

RUMBLEFISH

On my 10 hp Briggs the connecting rod screws call for 190 in lbs and when I converted it out to ft lbs it comes to 140. Does this sound right? And of coarse my cheapo torque wrench only goes to 100 so do I need to rent a better wrench and is it that important to be close to spec??

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Kehoe
Divide by 12 to get foot lbs. 190/12=15.83 inch lbs
correction Divide inch lbs. by 12 to get foot lbs. 190 inch lbs. divided by 12 = 15.83 foot lbs

Wonder if the bolts would have snapped? 16 foot pounds would be OK and certainly close enough. I don't fully understand the reason for torque I just just do what the manual says. Somebody that knows a lot more than I do took the time to figure it out so I come as close as possible to what is required.

Reminds me of a neighbor that had a rod start knocking on an Economy tractor. He took it apart and put new parts in it. He applied "One Big Farmer Torque" to the rod bolts. Shortly after starting the engine, the rod came out the side!!!

Well yes one of the bolts did snap. I used a conversion calculater I found on the net and I must have done it wrong. Anyway I am going to buy 2 new bolts and start over. I dont think I did any other damage buy looking at things but dang what an idiot mistake this was. As I was using the wrench I was saying to myself wow thats alot of torque needed on these bolts. LOL another rookie mistake.

You are learning the same way I do, by trying and doing. You remember good when you learn that way, but it is sometimes easier to ask first. I know this but seldom do this........Good luck with your project! Steve