Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Oh well another Kohler Blown to heck

xenon172

We tore down this Kohler CV730 today that was in a free Craftsman GT5000 we got. According to the former owner it was making some strange noises when he shut it down and put some oil in it. Claims it ran a little rough when he tried to restart it and it just didn't seem to run right. I think people heard this 2 towns away as a little more than a strange noise. At least there is some Ebay fodder left but not much.

ha ha a reminds me of this

just how i feel and have been treated by most / all kohlers just tie a rope on that one and use it for a boat anchor

Nathan, is that an example of what you see in some ads for old tractors: "good condition for its age, not a looker but still works well"?

If it is expensive to fix,problematic after fixing,and has the potential for catastrophic damage,I may be interested.Thanks for filling me in on Kohlers,never had one, but it looks fun!}:) Now where is the JB Weld?

quote:
Originally posted by pungo
If it is expensive to fix,problematic after fixing,and has the potential for catastrophic damage,I may be interested.Thanks for filling me in on Kohlers,never had one, but it looks fun!}:) Now where is the JB Weld?
This would be very expensive to fix since there is extensive damage to the block. The good news is that it only requires 1 part to make things right which is an 800 dollar short block. This engine has serious design flaws mostly involving the heads and Kohler didn't come up with a fix until 2004. I have seen many posts where owners were having catastrophic failures after 50 or 60 hours. The original problem was poorly heat treated head bolts which resulted in blown head gaskets and rapid oil loss. New head bolts didn't totally fix the problem unfortunately. I have a friend who has an extended warranty with Sears and is now on his 3rd engine with just a little more than 350 hours on the tractor. Kohler use to build a great engine, sad to see something like this.

This is the first I've heard of the Commands having a problem with blowing up that weren't abuse related. I know they've had head gasket leak problems. My father has a CV22 in his Craftsman, likely has under 100hrs but was built back in 2000 (doesn't see much use because of all our Simplcitys.) Should I be doing a preventive head replacement? I've seen some of these that were 10yrs old, abused and still ran well, though my Dad's seems to be smoking excessively on start-ups.

As far as I know it is only the CV730 that has this particular problem and the rest of the command line should be OK. The only other problem we have run into with a few command engines is bad lifters which is no big deal