Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4041 has me stumped (no spark)

Jed(VA)

It died on me a month ago. Turned out to be the fuel pump, so I replaced it. It ran fine for about 5 or 10 minutes, but I needed to replace the heat shield over the battery so I parked it in the shed and cut it off. When I got back to it a week later, I installed the shield, cranked it, it fired and sputtered out 2 or 3 times in succession, and finally would only turn over without firing. Got back to it a week later, tested for spark at the plugs, and there is none. Meanwhile, the grass is growing out of control. What do I do next to find the problem? Thanks in advance.

I have a 720 Allis Chalmers which I believe is a similar setup. If I remember correctly, the points box is very near the shielding on top of the engine in the front. (I know I had to remove mine to rebuild the fuel pump.) Is it possible that you inadvertently moved the points box? If it were loose, it could have moved enough to mess up your timing. I hope that it is that easy to fix! Good luck. Dave P.S. I actually had a set of points break when I was using the tractor once. That's how I learned about the critical timing on the Onan CCKB.