Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rock Guard on sickle bar

bob1959

I'm restoring an AC sickle bar and noticed while tearing it down that one of my rock guards is missing the pointed end piece upper half. Was wondering if it is broke or is this the way the factory had them mounted. It is on the very end of the bar. If it is broke does anyone have a used one for sale. Thanks

I have a bunch of half-good rock guards like you describe. I do not think they came like that from the factory, but if you feel like welding the top piece from mine to the bottom half of yours....you can have a few of them.

The one on the very end is like that. I thought the same thing when I got mine, but upon investigating it further I found that it had not been broken, it was made that way.

I was wondering if it was made that way because the piece doesn't look like its broke off, it has a clean stop on it. Does the cutting knife make it to the end prong when the blade is moving?

Sickle bars on combines don't usually have triangle guards at the very ends of the bar because the cutting edge doesn't extend out that far.

oops, sold three of them the wrong way....I will have to look at the manual when I get home, I do not remember seeing it that way in the manual.

I have an older 'armstrong' type lift sickle bar (mfg 990210). It doesn't the top portion on the rock guards on both ends. They look stock. I find in a manual for the cable lift bars (mfg 346, 402, 465, etc) that the outboard-most guard comes without the top.

The end guard on almost any sickle bar is like that. If you put a complete one on, it will plug with grass like crazy. We used an New Idea mower on the farm for years and it was that way. Steve

You guys are correct. I looked at the sickle bar parts manual and it shows the end rock guard with half the pointed prong missing and has a different part # than the other rock guards. It even has a picture on the parts page showing both.