Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Bailey

Turf/chains vs Ag Tires

Bailey
Needed to replace the dry rot turfs on the 7110 this summer, so got some Super Lug ags. After reading several posts here, thought I might be OK with them plowing snow. But ..... I was shocked at how poorly they did in snow. I am using a little less weight than last year and thought that could be an issue. After swapping on some turfs and chains from another tractor I was amazed at the difference. Even with less weight I've had no problem plowing in 6th gear even on the hills in my drive. For those of you using ags, how much weight are you using? Are you needing to use chains as well. Changeing wheels each winter is not an issue. The ags do come in handy for pulling out shrubs and down trees. I just couldn't believe how bad they were in the snow ......

bigdog46
I have ags on both of my Simplicity 7117H tractors filled with windshield wiper fluid. One tractor has a blade and the other has a snowthrower. I have had no problems with either tractor even plowing uphill on my neighbors drive. Extra weight will help you a great deal.

RickS
Bailey, I have used turfs with chains, ags, and ags with chains. All with and without weights. The big difference is the chains. Now I don't run anything in the winter without chains. I know Marty (MPH) uses ags only for plowing. He states Firestone (I think) are the key. I am sure he will chime in and correct me or provide more details. Rick..........

Simpleton7016
I don't have any problems with the Ag's on mine with no chains, but I am running 60# weights on each rear rim and the cab itself weighs 250#'s. Add to that another 180 pounds worth of frogs and snails and puppy dog tails....and you get a total of 550 pounds. But the biggest hill I have to go up is the lip of my garage floor. I will tell you though that I almost got sucked into a ditch a few weeks ago....nearly soiled myself. But you are right, turfs with chains are the most effective set up.

HubbardRA
I have used both AGs and turfs with chains. To use turfs at all, I had to put chains on. With the AGs, I have never needed chains. Of course, I needed adequate weight to make them bite properly. Weight is the biggest key. From what I have seen, chains only help AGs on hard ice. I like AGs without chains better in snow.

Cvans
I don't care if it is on my full size tractors with ag tires or a garden tractor with turf tires, Chains make a huge difference. To give you an idea, My 850 Ford loader tractor with new ags and chains gets around fine in the snow. In order to do the same without chains I have to have my Art's Way 6 ft. brush hog on the 3 pt. That's 850lbs extending 6ft behind the tractor. That's enough weight to make the front wheels light with the loader on. Chains are the answer, Chris

Bailey
Thanks for the input guys .... I don't have wheel weights, though I've been looking at the home-brew concrete ones posted in show & tell. That being said, how much weight would you think I can safely hang on the back without fear of snapping an axle or something?

captainweezy
As long as the snow is fresh my 917 with ags and 100 pounds on the rear lift work well. I just went out before it got dark today and tried to play a little, It would not push near as well as it did with the fresh stuff.

crankyyankee
Luv my AGs but the turf tires with chains worked better so i added wheel weight and they work fine.. My other pair i slipped the chains over the AGs and those work great too..

FastPaul
quote:
Originally posted by Cvans
I don't care if it is on my full size tractors with ag tires or a garden tractor with turf tires, Chains make a huge difference. To give you an idea, My 850 Ford loader tractor with new ags and chains gets around fine in the snow. In order to do the same without chains I have to have my Art's Way 6 ft. brush hog on the 3 pt. That's 850lbs extending 6ft behind the tractor. That's enough weight to make the front wheels light with the loader on. Chains are the answer, Chris
Ags are Of course cool,And yes a lot of weight is needed .Chains are King ,Unless you have a nice driveway and don't want to mess it up. It doesn't matter how much weight you have on ice unless you have chains Just my two cents :D:D

Chris727
I have the 10.5 super lugs and was shocked how poorly they perform on snow. I was able to pull a 1 bottom plow fairly easily with no weights so I expected decent snow removal too. It will push a good pile if its on a clean level drive, but if you get on a slope with any packed snow they will just spin. I know it needs weights and I do have them, just hoping to avoid scratching the wheels.

steve-wis
In my opinion, ag tires will only be good when they can bite into the ground or soft snow. When on something hard, you have less rubber on the ground with ags and thus less traction. I have turfs with chains and weights and no problems at all. I want to put ags on for summer work but if I do will look for a set of rims so I can have both ready to go. Even on the farm with the big tractors, in winter we always chained the tires. Steve

acfarmer
I'm finding out this Winter chains on turf tires will pull better most of the time in snow/ice then ATV tires then a distant 3rd are the tractor tread type tires.In the mud ATV wins hands down.Even on large farm tractors chains will move you up to a whole new level pulling in thesnow/ice

Simpleton7016
quote:
Unless you have a nice driveway
Someone once posted a link to some hard rubber tire chains that you could buy to save the surface of your driveway.

Cvans
Unfortunately someone also posted that the rubber chains didn't work well on hard packed snow or ice. I think they also stated that they rode rough. Chris

sbull78
i have ag carlisle tru power 10.5 on my 2012 with 60lb. weights and a 100lbs. on rear hitch and it would do ok pushing dry snow, wet was another story...i added chains and now it will move a mountain!!!!there was a 5 foot pile at the end of the alley behind my house and i was able to push it back a ways on hard packed ice or snow no less!!!!add chains and you will move mountains!!!!

ac.d17iv
I've been using Carlisle All Trail's on my AC 712 with blade and have been pleased. I have 50 pounds on each tire. The nice thing is they don't mark up my driveway like chains. On ice, chains are the only option.

kenmill1958
I made my weights fromlifting plates. Two 25# plates w/15# cylinder welded to the inside. Works Great!! Tires are Ags No chains as of yet.

pungo
As I understand it( but no authority since I live South)if you let some air out of the tires they pull better in snow.Isn't this better than jacking all that weight around?

acfarmer
Nothing is going to replace weight really of course the more traction the better but since GT tires run a pretty low pressure anyway letting air out of them will have little effect unless they are severly overinflated to start with

Burntime
I use chains and weight... Only the 27lb weights and the driver... I have a gradual slope to the drive. I think chains are the answer to the problem. If you can add weight thats all the better...but first chains. Erik has a great set-up, but like he said, it has a lot of weight to hold it down. I was all ready to go get ags until the first snowstorm...I am going to hold tight with the chains...

Ronald Hribar
not a fair comparision, but on my new setup, I just have turf tires, loaded with windshield washer fluid, no chains or additional weight, soft cab is not on yet. But I can blow snow whereve on my lawn, steep hill in back off house. Sometimes I have to back up and go again, never been stuck yet !! 4 wheel drive is secret weapon.