Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
hotshot77

Big Ten engine question

hotshot77
Hi everybody, I recently purchased a Big Ten and am gathering parts for the restoration. It was missing the correct seat and carb parts. One of the patrons from this site has helped me locate the seat...Very thankful. Now the carb on the tractor was missing the air cleaner. I went too ebay and there was a used functioning Big Ten carb and air cleaner. I won it. It arrived and is similar but not the same as the one on the tractor. The tube from carb too head is longer for one. The inlet where the air cleaner attaches is longer and bigger around thus air cleaner is higher. The choke on this one is on the outside, away from the engine where the one on my tractor is on the inside close too the engine, also there is a tube coming of the inlet under where the air cleaner sets that is rubber and I have know idea where it goes. My engine # is 243431 All I can make out on the tractor ID behind the seat is Big Ten and the last 3 digits of serial # 722. My question is will this carb work? I bought it as a spare and too get the air cleaner but the air cleaner will clearly not work on my carb unless I find a different base, and then I do not know. I would be great full for any help in this matter or any real close up pics of some other carb setups. Thanks John

[img]/club2/attach/hotshot77/ebay carb 3.jpg[/img]

midnightpumpkin
The rubber tube is straight and flexible when new, they take a set when they get old. New ones are around $5 at Jack's small engines. Nice looking engine Pungo. John U

hotshot77
That carb is identical too the one on my tractor aside from mine is missing that air cleaner setup.I cannot see what I suppose is the intake but I believe the one in the picture is short like the one on my tractor.Can any one tell me what I bought?The carbs look the same but the one I bought has a taller side where the air cleaner is and there is a metal base that sets on it and the intake is almost twice as long as the one on the tractor.It is black but I see what appears to be bronze color Paint on it and the air cleaner.Thanks for the pics.John

hotshot77
John their is no rubber hose on the original carb however the their is a rubber tube similar to the one on the carb I bought coming off the engine and going behind the cover.The one on the carb I bought is straight.Thanks for the pics pungo

hotshot77
No the intake looks right but the carb is different this carb has the spots to secure the choke cable on both sides.The choke set up is on the outside on this one away from the engine also the air cleaner is much taller than either one of those.

hotshot77
The intake and air cleaner were definitely Painted black over a redish bronze color.I have never seen this colors on here on any tractor maybe some of the older guys may know what it came off. I will definitely be posting pics soon.I am going too get busy paying my dues now.Thanks everybody!

hotshot77
If that is the case then I bet it is jetted different and will be to much for my little ten.I do not know what too do about this.I will keep looking for answers I suppose thanks.

hotshot77
I was just looking at the restoration fastpaul did on his Big Ten and on the 15th pic the new clean painted engine on the floor has the same intake and I believe the same air cleaner but I cannot tell any thing else about it from that distance.

pungo
I have a Briggs 8hp that reddish bronze color and the carb/cleaner intake setup could be what you have. I think it is a "D" Code but can't be sure tonight...

hotshot77
I do not know where the # are on these carbs too give any body.I bought it as a Big Ten carb and allot of other people wanted it too boy did I get lucky.C

midnightpumpkin
Hotshot77, Does your orginal carb have 3 or 4 screws holding the bowl to the upper part of the carb? How about the replacement one? I believe the correct carb for the 10Hp and up Briggs have 4 screws. My 725 8 Hp has the 3 screw carb. John U

hotshot77
Both of them have 4 screws it looks like on the one that I bought it was casted different where the air cleaner tube on pungos goes down in to his carb mine is casted longer and has a plate that sits on top that the air filter sets on and the cover over the top.

hotshot77
Also I do not know if it matters but the fuel inlet on mine is a plastic L shape and the one on the other carb is steel and straight fitting.

Storm7012
It sounds like the carb is off a bigger, 14-16hp that was on a tractor other then simplicity. That don't mean it won't work. I've used carbs off a 16 on a 10 in a pinch and was shocked at how well it worked.

midnightpumpkin
Another thing to consider is to go to Sandy Lake Implement and buy a brand new correct carb for your engine. The last one I bought was about $120.00. Here is a picture of it.
[img]http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL578/3246133/19205526/326614668.jpg[/img]
Not too bad a deal if you are doing a full blown restoration. John U

D-17_Dave
There are a few different carbs used on the 243431 engines as this engine had a very long production life. The early carbs. If I remember right had a separate filter base and neck. These were replaced by a later model with the filter neck cast into the body. Both styles are interchangeable. There is some talk about the long and short intake manifolds (mounting neck w/90 degree bend). The longer neck I think is supposed to provide a slight improvement in low end torque, but mainly was used in larger HP engines to accommodate the taller, larger air filter assembly and still fit under the hoods of these tractors. There is a slight jet variation between the HP models but getting a rebuild kit for your model/serial number engine will correct this variable so you can use any 4 bolt carb. on any engine if you so desire. I recommend using the correct jet so throttle response and other issues should correct themselves this way. The Copper colour paint was used by Briggs as the main OEM colour for years on replacement engines or for applications where the product manufacturer didn't specify their own colour. Also don't go by what came with your tractor as the carb. could have been changed from it's OEM style long before you purchased it. As for buying a new carb, you can do this and get Briggs current replacement that is set for this engine but it will be a late model carb. body model. So you might still need to source the correct air cleaner stack assembly to match the carb.