Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How do I keep the underside of deck clean?

MarcM

A product called Slip Plate has been given rave reveiws from the fellas on the Cub Cadet Web site. Most discussions focused on how the product kept their snow throwers from clogging. I have not used the product. I have seen the product for sale at the local Farm and Fleet or is it Farm and Country. If I remember correctly it sold for $17 a quart.

Marc, You asked, “is hosing down the tractor and deck subjecting them to possible future rust?” I seldom use a hose on any of my equipment for the following reasons. When I do use a hose, it takes many hours to R&R components, blow out and dry the wet areas, and to properly lubricate everything that has been subjected to moisture. I simple do not have the time to do that frequently. Most owners confuse washing a tractor with washing an automobile. Automobiles are weather tight, and I’ve never seen anyone turn a hose on the interior of their car. A tractor is not an automobile. When tractors are hosed off everything gets wet; the seat; the instrument panel; behind the battery; under the fuel tank; wire connectors; throttle and choke cables; engine; pulleys; etc. Even worse is using a pressure washer, which really forces water into places it should never be. It amazes me when I see someone hose off their tractor and then put it in the garage to protect it from the rain. My equipment is used almost daily. I blow off the dirt and dust with compressed air, and wipe the finish with a damp sponge. I seldom have the corroded electrical connections, bearing failures, binding cables, and rust in the seams that those who wash their equipment seem to have. Take a look at the picture below. Can you imagine what I'd have if I turned the hose on this..? But the air cleaner is serviced EVERY HOUR. I know people with tractors that are highly polished and waxed, but their air cleaners are dirtier than mine is on the outside. I’d rather have a tractor that looks “okay” and works, than one with highly polished paint but is in the shop. To each is own………… http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/work.jpg

Marc, You’re probably not going to like this reply. Don’t get paranoid about grass build up. In addition the grass, the under side of decks are exposed to sand, stones, and other debris. The paint will get worn off. If your grass is green it’s not dry. When the mower cuts the grass and whips it into a puree, it will stick to the deck. Don’t hose down the deck..! Use compressed air to blow it off. If you want it to look clean, wash it with a damp (not wet) sponge and dry it off. I own decks that are 30 years old that have never been washed and are not rotted out. When I sharpen the blades, I remove the large clumps of grass. In the fall I scrape the under side and apply a coat of oil for INSIDE winter storage (moisture coming up from the ground is the enemy). I’ve never used any spray or brush on “non-stick” coating.

Hey Marc I had a build up on my new Regent also what I do is every other time I mow I scrap it I use thes spackle knives that are made out of plastic it works great. The deck takes minutes to remove so it shouldnt be a problem. Have a good one Doug

I used my new Regent tractor for the first time the other day. The tractor works great and did a beautifull job cutting the lawn. The question I have is what is the best way to keep the underside of the deck clean from grass buildup. Before I cut the first time I put a coat of wax on the entire underside of the deck thinking that this would help prevent the grass from sticking. I also purchased a bottle of Mow-Ease from the dealer. This product is supposed to keep the deck clean and eliminate any grass buildup. The directions called for spraying the deck with this liquid at least 2 to 4 hours prior to use(the instructions said it was best if applied the night before use). I sprayed it on and waited 4 hours before use, I couldn't wait 24 hrs. The grass was very dry when I cut the lawn at 4 pm and I had the bagger attached with the bagger blade on the deck. When I finished the lawn and hosed down the tractor and deck I was very dismayed to notice that I had a heavy green paste buildup on the underside of the deck. Again, the lawn was bone dry down to the roots. Has anyone else used Mow-Ease? Any guesses on why I still got the buildup? Do any of you have any proven methods for keeping the underside of the deck nice and clean? I would like to switch to the mulcing mode during the summer and want to prevent build-up on the deck so that I can get the best results mulching. I understand that the key to mulching is dry grass and removing less than 1/3 of the grass height in one cut. I am now a proud Simplicity owner. My challenge will be explaining to all my neighbors with John Deere tractors why I choose a Simplicity!! Hopefully the cut quality of my lawn will speak for itself. Thanks for the feedback, Marc

Thanks for your replies guys. Herb, is hosing down the tractor and deck subjecting them to possible future rust? Is that the reason you say do NOT hose down the deck? Also I have a lawn service apply four applications a season of commercial fertilizer and I have a sprinkler system that waters every other day. You make a great point that the grass is very green and thick so each blade must have a lot of water content. I said the grass was dry because some ereas are already turning brown because we have not had a soaking raing in forty five days. Doug, thanks for your feedback and I do agree with you the deck comes off real easy. It's a great feature that separates Simplicity from the other brands. I would still like to hear from other members. This site is great!! Marc

Dutch, You are singing every chapter and verse of my song. I agree with you completely. My tractors may be dusty/dirty but they are not rusted and corroded. I also keep them inside to protect them from rain and moisture. I much prefer "working good" to pretty, shinny, inoperative, and hard to work on. Roy

Dutch, You are singing every chapter and verse of my song. I agree with you completely. My tractors may be dusty/dirty but they are not rusted and corroded. I also keep them inside to protect them from rain and moisture. I much prefer "working good" to pretty, shinny, inoperative, and hard to work on. I like the way you "faded" one picture into another. Roy

Dutch, you say autos are washable, does that mean pick-ups too? Mine has 350,000 miles on it and I guess a good rain does wash it. rare day you find dirty oil in it or a dirty air cleaner, I agree 100% with your thinkin. MPH