Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
xenon172

Easy Day Briggs 281707

xenon172
My kind of day, My partner did most of the work and I just took some photos. A simple refresh on a Briggs 12 hp 281707, not to many parts and not to many problems. It goes on an Ariens riding mower that we picked up and according to the owner it had no spark. No compression is a little more accurate so we figured maybe rings in the worst case. Even got a super deal on Ebay when we got a piston and rings, NOS, for about 5 more dollars than just the rings. Turns out the piston is needed but the real problem is a shot intake valve which was too far gone to be reground so it will be a few days before the part comes in. Other than that the engine is great and easy to work on with the most complicated part is making sure the timing marks line up. The Ariens itself is in great shape and putting the refreshed motor in it will add more dollars to the tractor fund in the spring. Just too cold to heat the entire shop so it's a great time to catch up on engine work and other small projects. Thought I'd put a few pictures in if someone is curious about the insides of this nice little engine.

xenon172
quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
Very familiar looking, I've got an 8hp torn down right now. That syncrho-balance is pretty interesting.
It's pretty much the same engine as your 8 hp just a little bigger. The Synchro Balance is a great design, very simple and it works. Much nicer to deal with than balance gears that some Kohlers use. I've seen a lot of these Briggs L heads with the cast iron liner run well over 1000 hrs. I doubt most of the new engines will do as well.

Sign in to follow this