Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dave45056

Starter Generator

dave45056
My 3415 does start very well. The problem is the starter generator seems to be weak. It does not want to turn the engine over past the first compression stroke. If I give it a little help it starts fine. I know it could be the engine decompression not working, but I just want to be sure. So far I have cleaned the insides of the unit and checked the brushes an bearings. I also sanded and cleaned all of the connections, but it still feels weak. Today I measured the amount of torque it develops by attaching a torque wrench to the pulley with the belt removed. The torque was about 10ft-lbs. I was wondering if this is a normal for a 1101689.

jlasater
Have you had the battery tested to make sure it's not falling on it's face when a load is applied? You should see over 10V while cranking.

D-17_Dave
Cables corrode inside the end connections after time. Check these by wriggling the cables at the ends while cranking and see if the speed of the starter changes. Also feel for heat buildup as this is resistance caused by weak connections. You can also take a set of jumper cables and one at a time bypass the cables to see if you have a weak one. As was stated above, the battery condition is very important as well. Everything has to be right for the starter to work properly.

dave45056
I checked the battery voltage while cranking. I held the starterr so it wouldn't turn, and the battery voltage dropped to 10.5v. It was 12.5v before cranking. By the way, has anyone have a spec for the torque the starter should generate? Or has anyone ever measure it on one that works correctly?