Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine Pic for Pungo and everyone else

xenon172

Pungo said in a response that he likes engine photos so I figured he might like this one and maybe some other members of the group as well. It's a 1962 Lauson on a Wheel Horse we did a while back. It's an aluminum block with a cast liner and is both electric and pull start. It was totally rebuilt and runs pretty darn good for a 5 1/2" hp. It will pop the wheels on the tractor and spin its 32 inch deck through 6" grass without skipping a beat. Not too bad for a Tecumseh product which is officially designated an HT55. Tecumseh offers no support it and most get replaced with an H60 so you don't see to many of these around.

I think Lauson was a stand alone Company that was later bought out by Tech,they made nice outboard motors too. That is one sweet engine,thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by pungo

[img]/club2/attach/pungo/mini-silk hope wonder 017.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/pungo/mini-silk hope wonder 016.jpg[/img]
I think Lauson was a stand alone Company that was later bought out by Tech,they made nice outboard motors too. That is one sweet engine,thanks!
Outstanding collection and extremely nicely done. I would say I'm impressed but that doesn't even begin to cover it. WOW!!! Yes Tecumseh did buy up Lauson who originated the easy start or so I have been told. I think they bought out Clinton as well. Hard to believe that Tecumseh is gone now too.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
Beautiful!! Looks like the engine I need for my WH. Suburban 550.
Close, the 550 used the H55 but I am not sure what the difference is maybe it didn't have the cast iron liner. Probably looks identical from the outside. If it's like my engine Tecumseh doesn't even have a carb kit for it but oddly NAPA does.

Here are three engines my brother is working on. The first one is a 1957 Clinton 1200 3.6hp, the second is a late 50's Clinton B1290 4hp and the last one is a 1963 Kohler K161 7hp.

I wanted to make sure nobody thought that was my collection of Lausons. The fellow who does this is local though and Posts on Smokstak. These are from the Silk Hope NC Farmers Day show last Summer.

Beautiful examples of early engines! I love to see an engine all gussied up to like new or better than new appearance. I love all old engines. Currently I have a 1957 1200 Clinton 3.6, two Briggs WIs, two 5S and a Model Y, An Airline Charger sold by Montgomery Wards (Gas powered portable 6V charger), twin 16hp Briggs horizontal, single 16hp cast iron Briggs, 4 23D 9hp Briggs not installed, 9hp cast iron single from around mid 70s if memory serves, more 5hp Briggs than heinz has tomatoes...8 come to mind with two that have electric start (1966 and 1970 5hp have electric starters for them.) Then there are all the mounted engines in tractors, on other power equiptment etc. You can never have too many spares!!! lol

• Who's Online (See full list)

• GregB
    • mbsengineer
    • Snojetter
    • Chris727
    • simplewrench
    • Darl Swartz
    • Bill725
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts