Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Michiganmobileman

7016 Headlight Bulb Recondition

Michiganmobileman
Two of the four bulbs on my Simplicity 7016 flicker pretty bad with the snow blower attached and running.

Both bulbs had the contacts wore down quite a lot compared to the bulbs that worked steady.

Thinking I had nothing to lose I got out my seldom used soldering stuff, cleaned and fluxed, wrapped the bulbs in a cold damp rag and built some new contacts.

Not the prettiest soldering job. Had to do some finish filing with the trusty Leatherman, but was real happy with the end results, they work now. I want to stress that if you want to try this follow a couple common sense tips:
WEAR SAFETY GLASSES Wrap the bulb completely with a damp rag to help dissipate any extra heat. This would also contain it if it were to break. Use as little heat for as short of time as possible on one contact at a time.
I used my propane torch set to as low of a flame as would stay on. A soldering gun or iron may work too. Be careful, Greg

B10Dave
:D Storm. Where did you source the bulbs from? How are they mounted in the housings? Looks like a workable solution for my 3314H.dOd B10Dave

Storm7012
I got the lights on ebay, just some little driving lights. Got an extra set of light "pods" on ebay. Didn't want to trash the ones that was on it. Had to do a little cutting on the tabs and the back plate that held the bulbs. Used some plastic washers for spacers to make them as close to straight as I could. I'm happy with it and I'm not using up my high dollar hard to find originals.

Blazerjeepman3
I have rebuilt the tips with small soldering gun on my 1971 3314 V several times. Trick is not get the bulb to hot or you will break it. Makes a big difference in brightness of light.

rpickle
On our sims, some of the instruments have lamps (bulbs) that are intermittent and tapping on them makes them light. Solder on the end of the bulbs has evaporated, so adding a bit to the ends extends their life. Just like Mr. michiganmobileman has done. Looks good, aye! Rick

Ronald Hribar
is there any reason you couldn't build up the contact tips on the wire instead, and not risk wrecking bulb? Just asking, never tried either way

SmilinSam
Cleaning or building up the contacts is something I have done in the past too. The thing I run across most often though is not bad contacts but worn off catch pins on the sides of bulbs. Got a whole bin full of good bulbs with no way to hold them into the sockets because one or both pins is worn off.

Vassal
Great ideas thanks for sharing dOd Just a thought about contact soldering: How about standing the bulb in a small container (reclaimed cool whip or butter tub) with enough cold water in the tub so just the contact end of the bulb sticks out? This should keep the bulb pretty cool no?

comet66
Sam, When dealing with impossible to find sockets. I have flattened a piece of mechanics wire on the anvil, and sled it in between the lamp base and the socket to tighten it up. And have had them work fine. Flatten it enough and it won't even stretch or misshapen the socket.

Sign in to follow this