Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Michiganmobileman

My first welding fab job front clutch bracket

Michiganmobileman
This is what the PO left me with :O

This front PTO came on a 3314 that I picked up from CL this summer. As this was a non runner I wanted to put the clutch on my 7016 to be able to run the snow blower. The installation manual says to use the outside set of holes for a Briggs. I did not have an outside "set", just one on the top side of the bracket:(. Figured I could give a try to add the outside lower hole. Scrounged up a piece of steel the same thickness, cut it to match the top size and ground down to match the cut off part. Clamped together with vise grips and ready to weld.

Not world class professional looking results but she turned out good and solid. Measured and drilled the hole through the new piece and here we go

Not bad for a self educated amateur:D After a few assorted other issues I did get the clutch together and working. Now I almost think the 7016 front clutch out blows the 919 with the center clutch running the blower. Sure works good. PS I didn't pay attention when I pulled it off the old engine but I have to think that the clutch was not working on that tractor as they both have Briggs engines and the pivot was mounted on the inside holes. Greg

Michiganmobileman
Thanks Guys, The 919 has worked super the last two years blowing snow but the front seal on the motor has developed a small leak and it ends up dripping where it would end up on the belt. As I wanted to have a backup tractor and hitch ready for the snowblower anyway Ill just leave it on the 7016 and put the plow on the 919. By the way how hard to change a front seal on a KT19 II twin Kohler?? I didnt even put the blower on the 919 this year, we havent had near the snow we had last year:( so the tractor time has been short. I think the welding is something that will get better with practice. I should round up some scrap and just play sometime when there is nothing better to do.... Thanks Greg

Vassal
Great save!! dOd It looks like you've got the fab skills to get the hard part out of the way; proper part fitment - nice! I found that one way to get good (or angry) with welding is to practice fitting and welding bits of scrap tube or pipe together. If you practice notching the pipe (whole saw) to get good fitment, you can play with angles and really get some good welding habits down-pat in no time. Good luck and remember, when it comes to welding, only perfect practice makes perfect B)

Sign in to follow this