Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs Magnetron

xenon172

I've seen these discussed a bunch of times on here but no pictures so here are some. I've only used these on 7 & 8 hp Briggs L heads but if you have an older snow blower or lawn mower that is ready for points and condenser this might be a better solution. You can see how it mounts on the coil which is pretty simple and the installation is easier than replacing the condenser and adjusting the new points. Even better is the fact that's cheaper and you'll never have to do it again. Just my two cents worth and maybe a way to save someone some time and trouble on a tune up

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
Does the Magnetron Ignition Kit require the flywheel to be re-polarized? Thanks,
Not on the engines that I have done so far which is 8 at this time. If that occurs I understand that Briggs will re-polarize the the flywheel at no charge. The only engines I have done this way are all pull start not battery ignition so I really don't know beyond these basic motors.

I have used them on quite a few engines and never have problems with them. You dont even need to pull fly wheel to do the conversion

I have also used the universal electronic ignition module with good results. You don't even have to take the blower housing off the engine to install. Just mount it and wire in place of the points and condenser. [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/Electronic-Ignition-Conversion-Module_W0QQitemZ270476169027QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ef9a2cf43[/url] John U

quote:
Originally posted by midnightpumpkin
I have also used the universal electronic ignition module with good results. You don't even have to take the blower housing off the engine to install. Just mount it and wire in place of the points and condenser. [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/Electronic-Ignition-Conversion-Module_W0QQitemZ270476169027QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ef9a2cf43[/url] John U
I have also used these as well but in my opinion the Briggs product provides a little better spark and is a much neater installation. Both systems do the job and it's just a matter of taste which one you prefer. Thanks for mentioning this system, I wasn't even thinking of it when I started this post.

Xenon72, Do you have to remove the coil to install the Briggs Magnetron or does it clip in place with the coil mounted? Thanks, John U

Normally the coil has to be removed and the air vane trimmed so the kit can be pressed into place. I also pull the flywheel and install the new key-way that comes with the kit although this step can usually be omitted. I'd rather be safe than sorry. About 4 or five of the engines I've done were also refreshed with rings, gaskets, and seals. Valves reground or lapped as required and readjusted to proper tolerances so removing the coil really wasn't an issue

I have an extra one. If you upgrade this and find that the coil is bad, the new coil you order will already have the pickup molded on the assembly.