Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
xenon172

Just a bad week for Kohlers

xenon172
This is the second really bad motor this week. We started on this Kohler KT17 hoping that a simple refresh would do the trick since the previous owner had been using it. His only problem was that seemed to lack power. Things looked good when we started until it became apparent that one piston seemed to stay in place when the flywheel was turned. This might have been the economy model where it runs on one piston for a while then switch to the other saving gas and making the engine last twice as long but no such luck. From the look of things the guy ran this for quite some time in this condition. At first glance it looked like someone had removed the rod since we couldn't see it but after cracking the block open we found what was left of it. There is some major damage and one of the barrels is broken but fortunately the series 2 uses the same part as the series 1 and we have a scrap one lying around. The crank is pretty beat up so it looks like we'll be going .010 under since a new one is $736. Kohler prices are going the way of Onan so beware of sticker shock in the future. Found a set of +.010 pistons and rings for under $100 NOS on ebay so it looks like this is going to be a rebuild. It came out of a Cub 1710 that is in pristine condition other than the engine so we should have no trouble getting our money back on this project. It has been a tough week with Kohlers.

Roy
I think Kohler makes good toilets but not sure about that either. :D I do have a Command CH-18 OHV in my Sovereign but other than it I don't do Kohlers. Air conditioned blocks are no fun. :(

xenon172
quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
The only thing I can say about the split case Kohlers are RUN LIKE CRAZY........The lubrication on these engines stink.
The series 2 addressed the lubrication problems somewhat and this engine had 1347 hours on it so that's not too bad.

ardisam
Thats pretty funy, thinking this was economy model? There is no such thing. I have two of KT17's, and the have been the best motor that I have every used. There is one in my Allis 916, and my Allis 917. I would take these motors over a B&S any day. Sound like there might been poor maintenance on the motor. These are my favorite motor to rebuild. Ryan-WI Allis Chalmers 916H Allis Chalmers 917H Deutz Allis 1920H Simplicity 7114S

xenon172
quote:
Originally posted by ardisam
Thats pretty funy, thinking this was economy model? There is no such thing. I have two of KT17's, and the have been the best motor that I have every used. There is one in my Allis 916, and my Allis 917. I would take these motors over a B&S any day. Sound like there might been poor maintenance on the motor. These are my favorite motor to rebuild. Ryan-WI Allis Chalmers 916H Allis Chalmers 917H Deutz Allis 1920H Simplicity 7114S
Definitely poor maintenance and I appreciate the thumbs up on the KT17, it's encouraging and I now know who to ask if I have any questions on the rebuild.

xenon172
quote:
Originally posted by Roy
I think Kohler makes good toilets but not sure about that either. :D I do have a Command CH-18 OHV in my Sovereign but other than it I don't do Kohlers. Air conditioned blocks are no fun. :(
Roy your faith in Kohler is heartwarmingsm01 They do make a dandy faucet however

ardisam
Adam, feel free ask me on the rebuild. I will be happy to answer any questions that you might have. Ryan-WI Allis Chalmers 916H Allis Chalmers 917H Deutz Allis 1920H Simplicity 7114S

johnmonkey
quote:
... after cracking the block open we found what was left of it. There is some major damage and one of the barrels is broken but fortunately the series 2 uses the same part as the series 1 and we have a scrap one lying around.
So if I understand correctly, if I found a KT series two, I could use internal parts from the kt series 1?. I have an AC 917 with a kt series 1 and would love to find a replacement kt series 2 engine. My engine is complete save for the broken rod 8C8C. jh

xenon172
The series 1 and 2 have many parts in common but the Crank and rods are not one of those parts to the best of my knowledge. Ryan looks like the go to guy as far as the KT17 is concerned so hopefully he will chime in. Got a good series 2 on Ebay for under $300 about a year or two ago and I know some guys have been replacing their series 1 with magnum 20s

ardisam
As far as I know that there is alot of parts you can use between to series 1 and 2. The only thing that I know you can not use is the crankshaft, because the series 2 crankshaft has drilled holes for a better lubication. I believe the rods will be ok to use from a 1 to a 2. Adam, from what I know if guys have been replacing the series with a M20, you would have change the switch from a battery ignition to a magino ignition. Ryan-WI Allis Chalmers 916H Allis Chalmers 917H Deutz Allis 1920H Simplicity 7114S

ardisam
It just the the KT17's have a stator, and M20's have a magtino. Ryan-WI Allis Chalmers 916H Allis Chalmers 917H Deutz Allis 1920H Simplicity 7114S

xenon172
Things are looking up for the KT17. Got our parts back from the machine shop and the crank came out perfect at -.010 and the cylinders look great at +.010 so it looks like we'll have a new KT17 for about $500 of new parts and machine work. We started putting stuff back together yesterday so it shouldn't be long before it will be ready. Just have to get the tractor spruced up and then have some good pictures for show and tell.

Sign in to follow this