Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
srwven

Is there a problem with Shuttle transmissions?

srwven
I recently restored a 1978 Simplicity Baron 7014 shuttle. I love the thing. I have seen a few posts on this board that have hinted at problems with shuttle trannies. Are these bad transmissions, if so, what should I watch out for and what regular maintenance should I do?

Hogg
From my limited experience with shuttle drives I have found that they are tough as nails . . . but finicky. The drawback to me is the adjustment process is fairly involved and any looseness in the linkages makes adjustment that much more of a hit and miss kind of a thing. As far as maint. goes, one of the most important things is to keep the planetary gear set greased. When they go dry they make a heck of a whine. Also, I would keep any linkage rubbing points dosed with some spray lithium. That's my $0.02. Tim

srwven
Thanks Tim. I have no knowledge of these trannies. Is there any info that I can get on these? I couldn't even tell you where the planetary gears are!

stevejj56
The planetary gears are behind a cover,in the center of the big pulley on the rearend. I have a manuel that explains the operation,adjustment, & maintainance of these. I'm getting ready to send some pictures to Kent to put in the gallery,I'll probibly send this book so he can make a link to it. Steve J

dlcentral
I agree on the strength of them,that's the only trans where I snapped an axle tube!If you're not careful,they can have INSTANT forward to reverse action.