Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ketchk

23d engine points Help

ketchk
I just got a 1964 Simplicity Landlord with a 9 HP Briggs I want to restore it. it turnes over and body is in decent shape. but i have no spark im used to newer engines so im a a little stumped. i have 2 wires coming out of the point cover one goes to under the flywheel and the other is chewed up about 3 inched from the cover i dont know where it goes I pretty sure that is my problem. i looked at the wire diagrams on line but i cant figure it out can any one help.Thank you

midnightpumpkin
Ketchk, The wire that goes under the flywheel goes to the coil, the other wire is a kill wire that goes to the keyswitch and is grounded to kill the engine. If you have an ohm-meter, these wires should read a few ohms to ground, with the key in the on position and the points open. With the key off you should read very close to zero ohms to ground. The points ground the wire to the coil, they are closed for a very short duration. DO NOT APPLY 12 VOLTS TO EITHER OF THESE WIRES! There is a post under "show and tell" on the briggs magnetron that should be of interest to you. John U

johnmonkey
If it is like a 19d (7.25 hp). It has a three leg coil. I have not seen or heard that a magnatron or a surefire will work with the three leg coil. There is a cam actuated push plunger that wears out and will make it so the points will not open. jh

midnightpumpkin
quote:
Originally posted by ketchk
so if its the kill wire the fact that its off would not be the cause of NO spark Correct?
That is correct. John U