Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

When you were young.....

timflury

Did your father own a Simplicity tractor??? My teenage daughter actually found this picture while cleaning her bedroom. I date it to about 1980.

We used several Allis Chalmers I haven't been able to find any pictures of them though. But I have my Dads last B110 he had in my garage.

My wife's father died when she was very young and she used her uncle's, does that count? Circa 1962:
[img]/club2/attach/BLT/Pat62a.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/BLT/PatsCara.jpg[/img]

My dad didn't know much about quality. The only riding mower we had was a rear-engine Monkey Wards of some sort. The deck rusted out because it was never stored under cover.

This is a picture of Dad and I sometime in 1967, (I would have been 2 years old) On his 725. [img]/club2/attach/MDB/DadMike67.jpg [/img]

heres me sm01
[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/02allisB-10.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/01allisB-10.jpg[/img]

I grew up on my Dad's 716H. As I grew I got more to do with it, with the arm-strong lift you have to be big enough to lift everything. First I was mowing (deck pretty light), then it was few years before I could go to snowblowing (next easiest to lift, and Dad was working wierd hours so I could at least open up for Mom to go to work). Lastly was the tiller (heaviest of all[:D).

Wow! You guys had tractors as kids. I got to use a push reel type mower and I probably looked like the opening scenes from Leave it to Beaver. Great photos by the way.

My dad never had a garden tractor as we were city dwellers, but when I was fourteen (1954), I was asked to help farm at a friend's during the school summer vacation. I was as dumb as a box of rocks but caught on pretty quick to milking with the Surges', mowing, raking and baling hay so by the second or third cutting, I was able to venture out and do some custom work close to home. So here I am with my trusty "M" and a load at the end of the day. The next summer was all baling. Child labor laws were tad different in those days and in retrospect and wouldn't have traded those two summers for anything.
[img]/club2/attach/BLT/1954Baling.jpg[/img]

Simplicity was out of our league.Pop had a old old Gravely he did garden work with,plus a saw blade to cut down saplings.After it backed up on him and nearly killed him(with the center mount tiller spinning)he got a 5 hp Simplicity Tiller (I sold it like an idiot). We used Cooper push mowers, I still have the last one(restored).Cooper made good alloy body mowers that run forever.

• 2 weeks later...
When I was 6 or so my dad had a 3112V which he traded for a new Allis 712H in 1975. He used that till around 1987 or so. He never let me use eithr one of them. My son now has the 712 and I know where the 3112 is and who owns it. I got a 707 for my first tractor somewhere around the time I was 11 or 12 to mow my grandmas yard up the road. Dad has a late 90's Massey equivalent of the Simplicity Broadmoor he still uses to mow certain parts of his yard with. He has commercial walk behinds to do most of it.

Dad had Simplicity's since I can remember (I'm 52) I can remember the dealer delivering one that had a huge deck, 38 inches. Guess that was maybe a 727. I have a 7119 that dad bought new and it's on it's thrid engine (both used ones). Dad has a Legacy now.

well i was about 10 or 11 years old when i got my first simplicity 3212v, im 24 now. its a hobby both me and my dad love.

same tractor 3212v with snowblower and cab

My Dad leaning on tractor with me on his knee. My uncle Carl with my cousin Rick on his lap. I know it isn't a Simp pic, but I thought you might like to see it. I didn't look too happy in the pic did I? I wasn't quite a year and a half old at the time. [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v160/Juggler54/family/CarlDadRickandJames6.jpg[/IMG] Their all gone now but me. Rick was a maintenance crewchief on a Abrams. Sorry if I got that title wrong.

Nope. We always had push mowers, shoveled the snow and turn the garden over by hand. However, I know own a 4040 that is six months older than I am.

Nice collection of photos here guys, thanks for sharing. I didnt get my first garden tractor til my late 30's. Greg

My dad's first tractor was a Ariens rear engine, then came a JD 110 (my mom didn't like this one, because the belts always flew off when she used it) then came a Simplicity 7016 with a snow blower then finally a 1993 Simplicity Landlord with a snow blower which they still use to this day.

I grew up on Allis Chalmers tractors. Here is a picture of my dad on his first tractor:

It was a WC. Before that, my dad had actually farmed with real "horse power". Through the years we had another WC, a WD (sold to an uncle), a WD-45 (sold to a cousin), a D-14, a D-15, and a 5050 diesel. I learned to drive tractor at about the age of 4 on the WD thanks to the hand clutch. My dad could put it in gear for me and I could drive to the next row of corn bundles for dad to load on the wagon with a pitchfork. The D-14 was purchased as "my" tractor. Here are some pictures when it was new in 1962.

Me posing for a picture:

Me and My Dad:

It is still "mine" today and sits unused at my mom's farm. Every few years I pull the plugs out and clean them up, clean up the points, throw a battery in, and play around with it. Here it is today:

On February 3, 1968, Dad finally purchased his first (and only) lawn tractor, a B-112:

Along with it he purchased this:

which allowed him to write it off as a farm expense :) Up until then, I was mowing about a 3/4 acre lawn with a self-propelled 21-inch walk-behind mower. Shortly after that, I left for college and dad got to use it instead of me. Hummmm, maybe that was part of the plan, maybe he did not want to mow the lawn himself with the 21-inch mower?????????? It still gets regular duty today at my lake place in northern Michigan:

I use it to mow a different 3/4 acres, blow snow, move dirt, and many other boring tractor-time tasks sm01 Thanks Tim for starting this post. All the great responses prompted me to get out my mom's old photo albums and reminisce. Glen

:DMy Dad never owned a garden tractor till 1971 when I got married and moved out of his house. Up till then my brother and I cut 1/2 acre of grass with a 1 3/4 HP. push mower. From 1957 to 1971 we used the same mower. Dad rebuilt the Briggs engine 6 times and put 4 sets of wheels on it. The deck never cracked or wore out. When I moved out he bought a cheapy 5 Hp MTD rider which lasted 4 years and then a JD garden tractor which he just replaced with another this past summer. I don't know where I acquired my liking for AC stuff.dOd

• Who's Online (See full list)

• ShaunE
    • SmilinSam
    • a_sannine
    • maxwood
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts