Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Blazerjeepman3

B &S 14 vs 16

Blazerjeepman3
I have a 3314V with 14 HP, model 320421. Maybe this has been discussed before ,but is this engine the same displacement as the 16 HP in the 3416H made in 1973 and 74?Is there a carb difference?

BLT
Same engine, I answered this awile ago. quote: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Originally posted by Blazerjeepman3 I have 3314V with the 32 cube 14 HP. What is the difference in the 16HP /32 cube engine that is in the later models.Is the head different for more compression or the cam with higher lift ? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The engine has a gross horsepower rating of 16 BHP @ 3600 RPM and a net shaft rating of 14BHP @ 3600RPM. This is a common rating statement for all engine manufactures. All horsepower is advertised with out any parasitic loads, ie fans, alternators, P/S pumps and so one. Briggs is subtracting the power it takes to cool the engine at there is where you get the net rating.

Blazerjeepman3
The reason I asked again is that some people have said there was a carb difference, not necessarily noticeable from the outside. I haven"t seen a 3416 to check it out.

UCD
If there was a difference in the carb it would be in the jets No noticeable difference in the appearance. The only way to tell would be in the jet part #'s between the 14hp and 16hp. The other differences would be in the camshaft and the head.

Blazerjeepman3
Maynard,thats what I am thinking. During the 70's there was horespower race going on amoung the tractor mfg.and they all tried to outdo each other especially in their advertising. If Simplicity advertised the 3314 at net and 2 years later on the 3416 it was at gross then they were just playing games with their model numbers.They were either the same in actual output or the 3416 had an advantage. My point in bringing this up is jetting on carbs could definite increase the power. as well as cam lift and duration, along with head modification.

powerking_one
Even though the 14hp & 16hp are the same bore/stroke, I think Briggs redesigned the block and went to a larger intake valve and port on the 16hp. Also, they went to the longer and better flowing intake manifold on the 16hp. The 16hp also only uses the rear/flywheel end counter-balancer setup. Maynard may be correct in that the head and camshaft was changed also to squeeze a little more HP out as well. Comparing the cam & head PN's in the parts list might be a way to confirm. Tom (PK)

RayS
The 14 horse uses intake valve 261070 which has been replaced with part number 394435. Intake valve is the same. http://farmex.now.tc/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=527 The camshafts are the same: 211794 is replaced with 692855 per Jacks website. http://www.jackssmallengines.com/searchdb2.cfm The cylinder head 211767 for the 14hp is obsolete and has a different part number than the 16hp 691712. The intake manifold is the same. The cylinder head gasket 270662 has been suerceded to the 16hp clinder head gasket 692231. You could put the head from a 16hp on the 14hp engine.

HubbardRA
The B/S 14 and 16Hp engines are basically the same. It is just a paper change to be competitive with the Kohler engines which did have separate 14Hp and 16Hp engines. The 16Hp B/S is essentially the same size as the 14 Hp Kohler. To compete with the larger 16Hp Kohler, B/S just changed their rating to 16Hp. The 16Hp Kohler engines have more displacement and actually produce more power than the B/S. In these one cylinder flathead engines cubic inches was the main factor that drove the horsepower. The B/S 14 and 16Hp are 32 cubic inches. The 14 Hp Kohler is 32 cubic inches, while the 16 Hp Kohler is 34 cubic inches. The Kohler definitely is more powerful, but B/S had to compete so they stretched the ratings some.

Blazerjeepman3
Thanks fellows for all the input. Rodney, one thing I have noticed on some B/S is a longer intake tube. I have a repowered 64 LL with 10 HP that has a longer intake than the 9HP I took out.I also have a 71 3310H and 3314V bought new in 1971 with a short intake. Maybe this engine came out another tractor . I bought it several years ago on e-bay,runs good, he said it came out of a simplicity.Any comments on the different lenght intakes

HubbardRA
The longer intake tube had more to do with keeping the carb below the gas tank than anything else. The 10 thru 16 Hp engines sat higher than the 19 and 23 series, so they needed a longer tube to keep the carb low enough for gravity to flow fuel into the carb. When I had a 10 Hp B/S on my 61 Wards, I used the carb and short tube from the original 7 Hp engine. The problem I had with that setup was that it would run out of fuel with 1/4 tank left. The carb sat above the bottom of the tank.

powerking_one
Sounds like the results are in; the 14HP and 16HP engines are the same (minus the counter-balancer differences). With an industry standard L-head type of engine like this (Kohler, Briggs, Tecumseh,etc) I'd also expect the dyno HP rating to be around 14-15 max, so I guess they were just playing the "We have more HP output than yours" game during that era Tom(PK)