Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

78kitty

Generator's cooked

78kitty
Right when I was getting done mowing a few months ago with the '72 3415H the amp light came on. Since it was on before I replaced the regulator I didn't pay too much attention to it. After a few minutes there was a weird noise and smell. I shut it down and let it cool. I went to start it up and there was nothing. We towed it back to the garage with the 5216H and there it sat. Well I took it apart today hoping it just needed a bushing / bearing rebuild kit. No such luck. It was a MESS! wah There was pieces of copper wire, insulation, and dust all over the place. Needless to say I'm gonna need a replacement. I'm going to put a want ad on our classifieds, but if anyone has any other suggestions let me know. It's the typical Delco Remy starter/ generator with model # 1101689 and Serial # 1K15.

Tom45
You might also check with your local starter / generator rebuild shop. It will get expensive since it sounds like you will need a new armature, but you will have a like new unit. When I take one, I take the regulator also and they check and adjust both. Tom

Roy
If your new regulator was not for a S/G (starter/generator) and limited the maximum output to less than 15 amps it is most likely the reason the S/G burned up. Automotive regulators look the same but allow much higher outputs (30 amps or more). Just a word of caution. If all else fails I have a source for new S/G's but they are priced somewhere between $125 and $165 (I think). Would have to confirm the actual price.

78kitty
Good deal, thanks for the advice Roy, but the Regulator was from the Simplicity dealer so it shouldn't be a problem. A member has contacted me & we're working on a deal, so I might have it up and going again before the next snowfall!

BLT
Also, it is a good idea to have the regulator bench tested with the SG to make sure they are compatible. Delco - Remy for quite some time discontinued the manufacture of new regulators for SGs and anything you get today is after market. You need the original regulator number so you have a paper trail to get the correct replacement part.

mendon-chalmers
Starting about 10-12 years ago I had to put one side in my S/G some years both $40. a side at my local NAPA about 7 years ago I replaced the gage,regulator,key switch & solenoid all at $90. to hopefully remedy the problem with no luck (the 4 parts tested to be OK)3 years ago I bought a brand new S/G from NAPA $140 not USA made (because we don't do that any more) & have not touched it since. Looks wise can't tell the difference, & already paid for itself.