Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

seized piston,

tracteur

Howdy folks !I've got this engine that has a seized piston,and the valves I don't know.I have remove the head,and the surface of the piston as only very little marks on it,a week ago I've poored oil on the head hoping that it would loosened the piston,but to no avail. I was thinking of putting heat on the engine,before I go to pushing(slow pressure)on it. And if I get everything loose does it mean that the rings are finish even if I test it for compression and it his good ? Thanks for your help. tracteur.

If it's seized, oil probably won't do anything. It's not rusted together. I'd take the head off, pull the rod cap off of the crank, spin the crank so the rod is hanging free, and then use a piece of 2X4 or other wood that will fit in the cylinder bore and use a hammer to knock it loose.

IF you can get the engine apart without killing the piston, you'll want to clean and scuff the cyl. to restore the bore to a smooth, cleansurface. Replacing the rings will be my choice as your likely not going to get the old rings to reseat. It might have OK compresion and run well but you'll have a lot of blowby into the crank case causing high oil consumpsion.

Is the piston seized or is it the rod seized to the crank? I had an 8 horse given to me because it was seized,I put a bar between the cooling fins and worked it back and forth it finally broke loose. I pulled the head and checked the cylinder wall,it looked good . I put the head back on and its still runnable.