Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gas cap/gauge on eBay

powerking_one

Check out what this cap/gauge went for on eBay! It's still an active PN (2156175SM) and Jack's show it around $15.00. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290390737441&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT Unreal, Tom (PK)

I have been in the buyer's position many times. If he is not a member, he probably has no idea of the number of resources available to get one of these cheap. He may have driven around to a few dealers locally and got the same terrible service that we get 'round here. So after driving for two hours, standing in lines (imagine the buyer might have a disability too and require a walker or wheel chair), using gas, getting a speeding ticket :(, etc only to come home and NOT have the part....$25 extra is not that bad of a deal. It is a question I ask my wife all the time: what is your time worth? She will spend 3 hours making a 'pretty' e-bay listing for an item that wil only fetch $7.00. My grandfather will drive 40 miles to save a nickle/gallon on gas. This particular gas guage buyer ended up spending $25 extra to have the correct item deliver to his door....sure beats spending a half day fighting traffic, crowds, and unhelpful customer service folks. Is it outrageous, yes, but not everyone is a member of this website. Care to guess how much I spent on a BGB (new from the dealer) before I found this website? Now I have them coming out of my ears! :) I can relate to this buyer.

Is this actually "New Old Stock" ? or just new stens aftermarket replacement. It looks like Stens aftermarket... (Its not actually a cork float)... so I would say the seller mis-represented the item... and probably did so to take advantage of the unwary buyer....but the picture is clear so.. buyer beware as well.. If it were NOS I would place value in the ACTUAL OEM part.

I bought one a time along time ago,it lasted maybe 2 seasons, but all my tractors are workers and not for show I found it's a lot cheaper to use a regular cap and take it off and look in.:D

quote:
Originally posted by Willy
I bought one a time along time ago,it lasted maybe 2 seasons, but all my tractors are workers and not for show I found it's a lot cheaper to use a regular cap and take it off and look in.:D
I work mine too but i would like to get the gauge back again... (but the right ones dont have the right grips but oh well) how did the one you bought fail... the float etc etc?? Ive got the orange push mower type cap on mine as well... just dont use a match to look down in... OO

The Cap is NEW in the package - NOS. The seller say it's in the package, but he failed to show the package in a picture. Checking out the sellers feedback and he has had some other quality AC parts for sale. I'm sure potential buyers checked out his history.

quote:
Originally posted by timflury
The Cap is NEW in the package - NOS. The seller say it's in the package, but he failed to show the package in a picture. Checking out the sellers feedback and he has had some other quality AC parts for sale. I'm sure potential buyers checked out his history.
It's what simplicity is selling now for those tractors. Like I said, I've got four in the last few months. Someone payed to much, but I'd guess just did know any better.

quote:
Originally posted by sammiefish
quote:
Originally posted by Willy
I work mine too but i would like to get the gauge back again... (but the right ones dont have the right grips but oh well) how did the one you bought fail... the float etc etc?? Ive got the orange push mower type cap on mine as well... just dont use a match to look down in... OO
The plastic cover got all hazy and cracked, and then came apart. Gas would come up through the vent hole is probably what caused the hazing. Without the plastic cover it become a funnel. The cork flout always worked though. If I had show tractors I would invest in original,but it don't take much time to remove the cap and look in.

I was moving snow today with my tractors. One cap you can read other doesnt work . I removed both anyway to check fuel. Sometimes they stick.. and running out of diesel is bad..

I bought an identical one (unless this one's got some hidden gold plating) for less than 8 bucks several years ago and it's still perfect.

Thats not a stens, they don't offer one in that length. The originals were made by Kelch Corp, I think. I think someone had posted that B&S changed sources and the gauge is now different, its probably Chinese now, just like the new 7000 hood straps that are too tightC