Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

plastic front crankshaft cover

mwells

Does anyone have an original style plastic front crankshaft cover? I would like a picture of it if possible. I want to try to have some made or at least find something very simular to it. 2026462 was the Allis Chalmers part# and 154327 was the Simplicity part#. Thank you! Mark Wells

Mark, I am looking for one as well. If you have them made up, please let us know!
quote:
Originally posted by mwells
Does anyone have an original style plastic front crankshaft cover? I would like a picture of it if possible. I want to try to have some made or at least find something very simular to it. 2026462 was the Allis Chalmers part# and 154327 was the Simplicity part#. Thank you! Mark Wells

From what I have seen there were two styles used. I prefer the earlier style myself. They were cut to length per allis specs but can be had new from the original manufacturer. They were made by the same company that made the lift lever grips. The problem is the minumum order of (I think) over 1000.

I had somewhere a small catalog of hand grips that included one style that matched the front crank covers. I don't have any idea what I did with it but a good look online for hand grips should render some results.

Bet you could make them out of that handtool "dip" coating for handles. Use a tube of some sort, coat it with a release agent, hook up an air chuck to one end, seal the other except for a small hole, dip away, once it's dried, air pressure would shoot the sleeve off. Instant engine crank condom!

Hunt-Wilde made them. They have a PDF of all styles available. They suggested I try McMaster car for smaller qtys but they didn't stock the correct style in 1" diameter as required. http://huntwildegrips.com/

Thanks for all the replys! We have ordered the 1200 minumum from Hunt-Wilde. It is the exact handle grip that was used on the B-1 and Simplicity models that used white handle grips on the lift lever. We're thinking it can be trimmed and used for the front crank cover as well. We are still curious what the original(s)looked like. We are supposed to have them by March. We will repost here and may place a year long link to our website here at simpletractors when Kent gets back to us. Thanks again! Mark Wells

• 3 weeks later...