Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Nelson muffler glow in the dark.

crankyyankee

Used my machines today to move snow. I used my B12 as it got dark to plow and clean up. I was running about 2/3 on the throttle and noticed when i was behind my barn with no light the muffler was glowing red.. Not the whole thing but some of it.. I ran it 1/4 thottle and cleaned up the rest, put her in the garage checked and changed oil. Oil was full. Anybody seen this? Should I expect a glow?

Ya i thought maybe engine running hot.. but it was around 35 degrees F. I have to check air filter . Bought tractor not long ago and havnt made a complete check.. I do notice i can open choke about 1/2 to 3/4 to keep her running good .. If i open tractor wants to stall..

I think it's quite normal and harmless. The heat being produce inside the cast iron engine is pass through a light gauge piece of tin. Farm tractor mufflers when I was a kid used to do it, thought then and still do that it's cool looking/

I too would check to see if you are running lean... look at the plug... last sunday I managed to run my snowmobile lean and melt the piston.... :( upon inspection of the plug in the bad cyl I was indeed lean...

I was going to post this same question today as when I shut down the 5008 last night after blowing 12" of snow for an hour it too was bright red and backfired like a machine gun thru the muffler. I will say mine tends to run rich as if I lean it out any more the governor hunts....so Im not sure its a lean condition.

Chris...What do you look for to check the plug for a lean setting? I thought a white plug was good and a black one too rich. Help me out here. larry

Brown is perfect under load. Remember though, if you idle the tractor at all before shutting down for a plug check, you will get a false "coloring" on the plug. You need to look down around the base of the insulator in the middle of the plug to get a true look.

well, I can tell you its easier when you have more than one cylinder to look at... and a lean plug can look similar, but not exactly like, one that is running normal... but white, in my opinion, is possibly lean there is a good set of pictures here... http://www.triumphspitfire.nl/plugs.html being lean is not necessarily due to your carburetor adjustments... you can have leaky intake gaskets that will cause this as well... or if it is a 2 stroke like my snowmobile, crank seals. anything that decreases your vacuum as mike said...If your motor needs to be choked a little while running, sometimes it can indicate that you may be running lean... an old saying... a lean motor will run the best it ever did just before the piston melts... i hate to be alarming as this may not be your issue at all... but for the ease of checking the spark plug and maybe checking the mixture screw, the intake and head bolts its worth a check... or hey, maybe even a dirty carb... hope this helps

I wouldn't get to excited about a glowing muffler I can light cigarettes off mine after I use it hard.:D Just let it ldle a min before you shut it down.