Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Double snowthowing distance..

crankyyankee

A seasoned tractor buddy told me if I bolt rubber on the paddle to take up the space between paddle and snowblower I can double my distance.. When i get time im going to try..:p

It will increase but not double. If you want distance put a 5" driven pulley on the blower. The 7790 can handle it. This is a 7790 running a blower with a 5" driven pulley.

I am guessing that it will be fine in the lighter stuff but bog down the 17hp in the wet stuff. Guess I could switch one and try it out. By the way, thanks for your well thought out and comprehensive answer:D

quote:
Originally posted by Burntime
UCD, will the 17hp kohler run it well enough in wet snow? It looks like it will speed it up 40%? Will the bearings take it?
Increasing the speed of the rotor will actually decrease the load on the bearings, but increase the extent of damage to the rotor if you hit a chunk of ice or other debris.

I was wondering something similar, A guy down the street from me has an Ariens tractor with a 42" blower and his chute is shaped such that the snow comes out like a tight tube of snow and not the fountain like the simplicities do.....that thing was shooting 40' or more......How do I get my blower to do that? :)

I changed pullies with my 7117 with 20 hp Magnum. Made the 20 work. Blew the snow well. Also tried the rubber on paddles . They did not last long.

Someone posted a movie on youtube about this. On his 2-stage blower it did make some difference. Not sure you could get it to work on a single stage.

Those blower paddle rubber kits use to be sold on Ebay. A few guys her have bought them and posted on their results. Some good, some bad, some so so. I guess it depends on what you expect to get for results. I never used them and never needed them. On a couple of blowers I had after heavy use had over an inch gap between the paddles and chute throat. In 16 years I wore out 4 snowblowers beyond repair on my 7790.

Maynard, How much snow did you plow in 16 years? Or maybe I should ask how much do you clear in each storm. That averages out to a snow blower lasting only 4 years. It takes me about an hour and half to clear my driveway and paths around the house. My driveway is about 500 feet long. Plus the place to turn around in. Rick........

Wow! A thrower every 4 years? Is that from use or abuse? I tore one up in 5 years with a gravel drive and most of it was my fault not adjusting the skid plates and large stones working their way up.

Burntime Hard use and abuse. Rick I averaged over 4 hours per snow event I have spent as many as 12 hrs straight in the cab of the 7790 blowing snow. 3½ gallons of fuel would go about 5 hours. I have a conservative estimate of over 5000 hrs on the engine. It is still going by the way in semi retirement at my nephews where it is lucky to get used 1 hour in two weeks time. I blew out my House and Apt. building parking lot, 2 driveways next door, my Garage lot and the warehouse yard next to it and several other driveways between house and garage. For three years I cleaned over 1½ miles of sidewalk between my house and Garage lot (it was easier to drive it than load and unload on flatbed) before I moved the business to a building less than a half mile from my house. At the garage come spring I would have a snow bank over 15' to 20' high, 20' wide and 100' long. I had to use a blower at both garage, house & apt. building as there was no place to put the snow with a plow. . I talked to a Lombardini engineer 2 years ago and he felt that the reason my engine has lasted so long with that many hours is that it has only blown snow and had not been run hot or over heated mowing with grass clippings clogging the cooling fins. My Simplicity dealer sold 8 7790's and mine is the only one still running.

I put a 5inch pulley on one blower. on another I changed the chain sprocket that drives auger. I cannot remember how many toothsprocket I used. But it was easy to figure out how much faster I wanted to drive blower. And was more precise on how fast you wanted it to turn.

Maynard, That is amazing; over 12 hours blowing snow. I would really like to see your snowbank; 15 to 20 feet high 100 feet long that is incredible. While I get a snowbank from blowing snow along side my driveway, it does not even come close to what you discribe. That clearly demostrates how large an area you cleared. Thanks Rick........

I keep threatening to pull my blower apart, sand and paint it. So far I've only done the shoot. With some snows it does fine, with others, not so good. Wet snow is not the biggest problem. Maybe next year . . . . .

UCD good point. I was going to run one of my tractor mowers last years hottest day. I started her up and never left the barn. I thought to myself everything breaks when its really hot or really cold.. I waited for another cooler day to cut.. Hey off the subject. I took a 115v cable heater and tucked under the 7790 block and tiewrapped. Then i wrapped the rest around the fuel fulter area and intake. I plug in about one to two hours before i start and Bing she starts. Plug is tucked under the cab.. Going to try a 5 inch pulley or change sprocket soon. My piles of snow are getting high. Thanks for the info.

It is not the temp. of the day it is running the engine with grass clogged cooling fins. The Lombardini engineer I talked to said the only longevity problems they had with the 10ld400-2 engine used in the 7790/920 was in mower applications over heating from clogged fins. I never used a 5" driven pulley I didn't need to. The pictures above are Dave Christensen's (dlcentral) 7790 blowing snow with a 5" driven pulley. I needed the power not the distance. I sometimes had to blow the snow 4 times to get it where I needed it. Even the lightest powder gets heavy after it has been through the chute once. This is what was left of the last blower (#4)and it was one of the better looking ones before the 7790 got demoted to cleaning just a 12'x75' driveway When I closed my business 9 years ago next month.

This was 7 years ago with the last blower I bought

This is what I blow snow with now night and day difference

Wow! If I tweaked the augers I use a cresent wrench to bend them back. Same with the housing. Mine did itself in because the blowers edge caught while going up a hill at full speed. I almost went over the hood. Thankfully my crotch caught the steering wheel when the machine stopped dead!sm00 Your right, once it goes thru the chute it gets heavier to throw thru again. I am going to switch out a pulley on one of mine when I get a chance. I have always just thru whatever I had on the front the last 2 years. This is the 1st year I have 2 pristine looking blowers. They really don't make a big difference but its kinda like driving a clean car...it just feels nice:D

That new cab looks toasty.. No fog like mine gets like..I have to clear the road frontage in the front of my house for the mail people.. But now the pile is about 7ft high. High enough im hiting the side of the pile when i shoot snow because i am so close.. Once i get some time a 5 inch pulley or change sprocket will have to happen. We have been getting heavy snow and its making the belt burn alittle when chute gets clogged.. Heaviest snow ive ever seen..