Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

917 questions

captainweezy

Can I get headlight bulbs at an auto parts store or would I have to call one of this sites advertisers? Also I just installed a new steering stem that worked really nice and smooth before I installed it, However now it is really stiff and hard to turn. I did grease it very good at the zert and also shoot some more grease around the gears but still nothing. I also jacked the front end up and turned the wheel and still very stiff and hard to turn. I then checked the bolt that attaches to the linkage and found that there is a spacer that would prevent this from being an issue. What else should I check? I do not want to strip the wheel out like it was when I got it.

does the new steering stem have a bend in it . I put one in a tractor i got that did not have one bought one from a local guy . after installed it turned hard . took back out and there was just slight bend in it . bought another off of ebay and works great now .

Jack up your front end and pull the battery. clean out the cavity of grass etc. Then take penetrating oil and squirt where the shaft goes into the bushing, work it in by turning the wheel keep doing it until it works loose. bushing and shaft gets rusty from the wet gras and maybe sitting.

On my 17GTH-L the steering was tight even after I disassembled the unit and lubed the lower bushing. Turns out the upper bushing on the dash right below the steering wheel was side loading the steering shaft and causing the high steering efforts and poor returnability. There are two speed nuts below the bushing plate that I replaced with nylon locknuts and washers. You have to pull the battery to gain better access to the nuts as you tighten the bolts, but it allowed me to move the upper bushing over just enough so that it didn't side load the steering shaft. Jack up the front wheels. You should be able to turn the wheels and the steering gear lock to lock by moving the tires. Then loosen the upper bushing plate and see if the efforts improved.