Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
osenga

sickle bar

osenga
Ok I am wanting to get me a sickle bar and what I am wanting to know if the 7100--900--3400 and so on what i have in this line . Can I use a sickle on these or not. and if so what one should i start watching for like 46 inch ?? This would make mowing my ditch so much better sincee once a month I get to pull my tractor out when i mow them that last strip and a half is just to steap . Oh ya and the ride down is not fun either but i have not broke anything yet.

HubbardRA
They make a special sicklebar mower for the cone clutch type tractors. It has a planetary gear reduction built into it to slow down the cutting speed of the bar when powered by the PTO of one of the later model tractors. If you use one of the sicklebar mowers from one of the older tractors (which are much more plentiful), it will run too fast and break the bar that holds the teeth. These need to be slowed down about 3:1. That is why the planetary gear reductions were put on the newer units. I was at another member's place last Saturday and he had one of the sicklebar mowers with the planetary unit for the cone clutch tractors.

osenga
SO I will look for one of these . But since the gear reductionis added onto the sickle bar for these series of tractors. and say If you compare to the older style one . So like the on the older ones where did they have the reductions at to make this difference . Would that be in the gear box???

osenga
ok that does explain some of it for me or alot of it in a way so with the pics of the 2 sickle's the one with the black hitch and by the looks of it on the bottom is that the gear reduction to it since i did not notice that on the other one , and other than that looks as if they bothe mount the same and all is that correct? and do both of these both use the same belts? and if i would find the other style can i add the reductition to it ? or some how to make it work

wilm169
The black one is the one you want, no they do not use the same belt,yes they mount the same, and no you can not make the other work by adding the gear reduction.

osenga
Ok i understand that now . But now the other style sickle would be used on the say for example 3000 2012 I dont have any in this style but I have ran across one or two in my area might have to pick one of this style up and go either way then