Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

tecumsi carberater cleaning

tacomac

I got a free craftsman snowblower and the carb. was varnished. I cleaned it with carb cleaner,opened all the little holes and freed up the choke valve and butterfly valve,put it back on and it only runs if I keep pushing the primer bulb. What have I missed?

I put that little can on the bottom so that the the float drops down to the flat spot, I wonder if that should be the other way to let it open a little farther? thanks for your help. Mac

On my tecumseh's Ive found the rubber seat for the float needle has swelled from the alcohol in the gas. It restricts flow and lowers the fuel level. A rebuild does not last long using another rubber seat. The engine starts and runs for a while then more choke is needed to keep it running. It will idle fine but does not like to pull a load. All 3 of my Tecumseh/Ariens do this in varing degrees. I am going to make a batch of brass seats to try and stop this from happening again.

I think you are right with the flat spot on the cup. It needs to be toward the engine so the float will drop into the deeper part, if I remember right. There was also an issue on how the small wire clip that holds the needle to the float is installed, if you put it in from the wrong side it might hang up. Looking for my info, will post again when I find it. Steve

The shallow portion of the bowl should be directly under the hinge point for the float. Also make sure the main jet isnt plugged. There is a tiny hole down the center of it, use a thin wire to ream it out and blow compressed air through it. It could also be not adjusted quite right OR it might be too far gone. Hope this helps. :)