Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

points/ kill switch

rick66

Hello there, I am fairly new to this great site and have a ? about this engine I just put into a 64' 2010 I got for FREE from my uncle. The engine is a 23d that a put back in after new rings. Now i'm trying to hook up a kill switch (no key for tractor). There is a switch mounted already and there's a wire going to the Positive side of the battery. Where does the other wire go to kill the tractor? My dads tractor has a kill switch and his is going to the + battery and the points. I was going to try that on this tractor But there are no points inside the cover. I touched off the wire on cover but the wire started to smoke. ALSO, what exactly it the small box mounted on the points cover, Is this the Electronic type points or what? Picture coming when I can figure it out

Here is a link for kill switch wiring one of these might be the one. I.m using my sons computer that I hate so i didn't look at them.

Did you click on Close Window or did you click on the X to close the upload window? You have to click on Close Window for the file to load to the forum page. If you click on the X to close the windo it loads to the server but not to the forum reply.

if you take the point cover off and you dont have points it was changed to electronic i have ther same engine 23D and 2 wires come out from the point cover one goes under the flywheel and the other is to the kill switch the kill switch hope it helps aNDY

If you have a magneto, either with points or without points, the kill wire needs to be hooked to a switch that connects to ground to shut off the engine. You want to short out the magneto so it no longer develops power and the engine stops running. Running power from the positive side of the battery to the kill wire from the magneto could possibly ruin the magneto. The only time the ignition switch should be connected to the positive side of the battery is when an external coil type ignition is used. On this type you need power for the ignition to work, and you switch it off to stop. Note that I am talking about a single pole flip switch that controls only the ignition. Key switches that control lights, electric clutches, etc. all have one wire connected to the battery, even though the switch does not provide power to the ignition.