Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mike_sdak

kt-17: leaking gas?

mike_sdak
I have a 917 with the series I KT-17. I have added a fuel shut-off due to fuel leakage issues in the past. I put it in the garage last night for the first time (and left the fuel shut-off in the ON position (oops). The garage was really gassy smelling. I didn't check for leaks, yet, but does this sound familiar to anyone? I haven't noticed gas leaks on it in the past (apart from into the crankcase). Also, the fuel leakage thing is really annoying. Is there a way to stop it, without the manual valve? I have looked at the float valve when I had the carb. taken apart - it looked OK. The fuel pump must be leaking, too? Also, is it necessary to even have a fuel pump on Kt-17, when the fuel tank is above the carb (if memory serves)??

jlasater
Fuel will flow through the fuel pump on my K341S but the carb doesn't leak a drop (hasn't ever in the 9 years I've had it). I'd bet that the float needle valve/seat needs to be replaced.

SmilinSam
On a few occasions I have had problems with the newer gas tanks leaking around the rubber plug & steel fitting in the bottom of the tank in cold weather. One was a brand new Soveriegn I had in 1998. Leaked the whole tank of gas out in the shed over a weeks time in sub zero weather. Anymore I just save back the older tanks found in the 3300, 3400, and early 7000 series with the molded nipple in the tank. I put those in the tractors I keep and use.

Ronald Hribar
someone posted on an electric shut off valve, that was inexpensive. AS I told Simpleton 7016, if You want to save your motor, USE THE VALVE You can blame a poor design, or try to fix it, but the only way to be sure is to Use the Valve. The K17s arte hare to come by and expensive, When the crankcase fills up with gas and washes oil off from cylinder walls, bearings, You will have blown motor

mike_sdak
I smelled the dipstick last night, it didn't smell of gas (and was low, to boot). The gas smell has been fading, after I closed the valve. There must be a leak somewhere in the fuel line.

kenmill1958
Mike, I had a similar problem with my 917 and Cub 125. Ended up putting in shut ofs in both. I did try running the 917 without the fuel pump connected. What I did notice though is the tank outlet is slightly below the carb. It will run but not as well as with the pump in the picture. A few members have installed low pressure electrics with good results

bsadler
I have had the same problem with my 917H - KT17. I fought the needle and seat to no avail. I was talking to a very experienced Simplicity dealer and he told me that on the occasion that he forgot to shut his valve off on a customer's KT17 he started it up and the rod broke due to the gas leaking into the cylinder washing the oil off. The starter cranked on and something had to give. That sent me into the panic mode as I sometimes forgot to shut mine off. I now use an electric valve. I have used this on several tractors that I had over the years and it works fine. I keep one on hand for the future. I wire it up on the ignition coil 12 volt wire and strap it down so that it does not vibrate. Here is the web site. [url]http://www.propanecarbs.com/impco/400modeldigestergas.html[/url]