Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MPH

thankyou Kent

MPH
Thanks for your info on clutch adj yesterday, I had the Principle of the belt guide backwards, I gave it more room to get away from the pulley, 725 works good except for the sudden engagement, can dump the clutch only,even at an idal the front end comes up. MPH

Kent
You're quite welcome -- glad it helped. Let's try the next one... Does your 725 have a "split-pulley" on the bevel gear box to drive the transmission drive belt? It sounds like someone may have replaced it at some point over the years with an aftermarket one... The original pulley was an unusual split type, in multiple pieces with a fibrous clutch material sandwiched in between rings in the center hub, which allowed the belt to slip slightly when power was suddenly applied (i.e. clutch disengaged). If it has been replaced with the more common, solid type, it'll grab...

MPH
Kent, sure looks like it came with the tractor, has rope starter attached with two bolts and is the same faded orange as the rest. our midnight sun is clouldeed over tonight and flash lights are illegal after may 1st, so I'll look at closer in the morning. its 10:30 now and i just got home from hanging sheet rock. think I can see good enough to put my new ggodyears on yet, now that I got the lawn raked. thanks MPH

Kent
Sometime during your 20+ hours of sunlight (smile) check the pulley to make sure the "ring" on the 725's center hub (between the two pulley halves) can move and isn't completely frozen... Also check for rust, pitted areas, dents, etc. on the surfaces where the belt rides. Then, if all else fails, try some belt dressing. The belt is SUPPOSED TO SLIP SLIGHTLY when you let the clutch out...

Roy
On my B-1 I found over the years that new belts will often "grab" upon engagement initially. Then, once they are broken in and glazed slightly on the sides of the V, they work fine for a long time. Roy

Cal
Kent is right about the split pulley, except it came on the 9& 10hp tractors the 700 725 &AC B-1 did come from the factory with a solid cast pulley as you found a good original belt or fabric covered such as the gates green belt should work fine. Your tractor did not have the smoothest clutch. When they went to more power there had to be a better engagement system thus the split setup. Cal

Kent
Thanks, Cal for straightening me out -- my Big Tens have the split pulley, and I guess I just assumed they were on all the oldies. I just picked up an old B-1 a few weeks back, but haven't torn into it, so no first hand experience... Goes to show what "ASSUME" really means!

MPH
thanks Kent and Cal,guess I'll have to go see if the big10 parts tractor I got in that pickup load had a drive pulley on the gear box. had it apart lookin for parts for the 112 but don"t recall if the pulley was on it, dang sometimers disease. MPH