Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
RUMBLEFISH

Snap goes the bolt.

RUMBLEFISH
I am putting back together my Big Ten. As some of you know this is my first ever rebuild and its been a lot of fun. I finally have a rolling chassis and engine mounted. Started to put the steering stuff together and remember reading about torque on a bolt. Well go to put 35 ft lbs and snap "dangit". This thing when I looked at it was rusted almost all the way thru so I'm lucky it happened now rather then when the wife or son had been behind the wheel. I put out feelers on this site for the part since they are no longer available on the parts sites as far as I can tell. Just wanted to share. [IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/qrnq7k.jpg[/IMG]

RUMBLEFISH
Well I'm hoping someone on the site has one in good working order for sale. I would think a machine shop to make this up would cost me more then getting one used.

rpickle
Yeah, anytime I have taken a piece to the shop down the road, cost ended up being quite prohibitive. Machine shop only as a last resort, unless money pours from your pores!

HubbardRA
Grind the piece down smooth at the edge of the shoulder behind the threads. Center punch the flat area, drill a hole down the center of the piece, and then tap threads into it. Then use a bolt instead of the nut that was originally on it. By the way, are you sure that nut was not supposed to be torqued to 35 in-lb instead of ft-lb?