Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Shuttle Questions - Update

Bailey

Got my first shuttle last week, 3410s, and I'm sure there are some issues with it. The linkage needs adjusted, as it creeps forward. When you put the shuttle in reverse, even with the gear selector in neutral, the shuttle rattles and the outer pully on the tranny wobbles badly. It also may be a little slow/lack power in reverse. I don't really want to drive it until I can adjust or repair any outstanding issues. I've looked at the adjustments in my manual, but on these old scans its really difficult to see what's going on in the pictures. Any chance anyone would be willing to put together some decent pics to go with the manual's instructions? Also, anyone able to explain the rattle and wobble issue? Thanks Tore the planetary off, and the pulley. The spacer/inner race and thrust bearing have been reduced to a paper thin ring about 1/4" wide. Is that a problem? Planetary is full of dry grease but the teeth on all the gears look excellent. I'll tear the planetary apart, inspect and repack tomorrow if all goes well. Now I've got to try to locate the inner race and thrust bearing...... I haven't even bloodied my knuckles yet!

The wobble issue is a worn out reverse section planetary. This is the week point of the shuttle tranny. The bearings not being serviced have severely worn the guts of the reverse section and rendered the shuttle useless. I won't say that it can't be repaired, but it won't be cost effective. Best bet is to replace the rear end w/ a common 3 speed if your budget minded or swap in a complete hydro rear end if you can get one.

I do have a good 3 speed sitting around, but I'm not smart enough to skip to that solution. I'll have to tear things up, bloody my knuckles and cuss a lot trying to fix it first ..... It's what I'm best at!!!!!!

--------- I'm not smart enough to skip to that solution. I'll have to tear things up, bloody my knuckles and cuss a lot trying to fix it first ------ Like your additude Andy, KOKO