Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Garden Planter ?

Bunky

I picked this Allis Chalmers Planter and want to make it into a one row sleeve Hitch planter, Has anyone done this before ?? Or have any suggestions how to make it into a sleeve hitch mount ???
[img]/club2/attach/Bunky/DSCN2498.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Bunky/DSCN2499.JPG[/img]

What you have is an ag unit, not a garden planter. It is made to mount on a toolbar along with a number of other planters. I imagine that with a little luck and lots of engineering that you could convert it to a sleeve hitch. The problem is that these are very heavy and I'm not sure you could lift it safely once you had it mounted. If you have an AC720 or similar, you could convert it to category 0 3 point hitch and be ready to go. The best way to start a conversion is to open the clamp in front of the disc opener and take off the tool bar hitch. Look up Cole Mfg. and check out their one row vegetable planters to get ideas of where to go from there. Good luck.

I agree with Basil, it's made for farming, not gardening. If you got a good varity of seed plates for it you might be able to plant more then corn and beans. I say first measure it from the horiz. irons running back from the tool bar. I'm guessing they are at least 14 inches high as they appear to be above the dics. If you cut it off behind the tool bar you'd have to drop the hitch to around the 7ish inches that the lower hitch on the tractors are, then come up with how to lift it, which should be easier then getting the 2 points lined up right. I think by cutting off all of the tool bar you might solve the wt problem. Did you get the seed pot and some plates? Bee a fun project IMO.

I realize that it's a Ag planter but the Deere and Cub guys use there AG planters and Adapt them for Garden use I realize I will be limited to certain items my main use will be pumpkins and corn. I will have take off the tool bar part and mount something down to the square tubing below..

We did one just like that to work on a Cat 0 set up.I have 2 more I'm going to convert one to Cat 0 one to sleeve hitch.You'll need to add some front weight.I have a pile of orginal AC plates and some JD planters used the same plates.Also another way to go if you don't have the original plates is to buy an adpater then you can use any of the more modern plastic plates and then you can plant anything you want.

I have 1 plate and the John deere adapter so I can get more Deere plates to work I think with a little work I can get it to work ACFarmer do you have a photo of the 3 point one ??

Well went out and took the uprights off and came up with an idea, I took some wood for a pattern and made a pattern I'm thinking of taking 1/4" plate and weld them to the square tubing and then making an adjustable Hitch like on a Brinly planter and mounting to hook it to the sleeve hitch, I'm also going to use a short metal hopper
[img]/club2/attach/Bunky/IMG00133.jpg[/img]