Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
RUMBLEFISH

Piston rings

RUMBLEFISH
I was going over B&S repair manual and found somehting I overlooked. I honed the cylinder on my 10hp 23 b&s and installed new rings. I put the whole thing back together and on the fram but have not started it yet since I still have other stuff to do. Are the two top rings groved and should they be installed in a certain way? Do I have to take this thing apart again?

sammiefish
Well,... I cant say for the Briggs... but the Kohler will have 2 "smooth" compression rings in the top 2 grooves and a 3rd oil ring in the bottom groove. it my experience that there are often instructions that come with the rings describing installation which would tell you about any bevel direction up or down-ness The end gaps are usually offset so they are not right above one another to minimize blowby or leakage... hope you dont have to tear it down again... but hey, it fresh in your mind now if you have to

sammiefish
if you have the service manual you probably have this but this site shows the various rings and their cross-sections relative to up and down. http://www.tpub.com/content/recoveryvehicles/TM-5-4240-501-14P/css/TM-5-4240-501-14P_236.htm http://www.tpub.com/content/recoveryvehicles/TM-5-4240-501-14P/

RUMBLEFISH
OK then I think Im fine. I read the little sheet that came with the rings. The top two rings are the same and I made sure the open ends all sat on differet areas.

MrSteele
Most rings have a 'notch' cut out of the bottom or top on the inside of the ring. If you installed the rings according to the illustrations shown on the package, with the corner notches in the proper location, either toward the top or bottom of the piston, you are fine. As with the kitchen sinks, and most Fords and Chevys and Dodges, and.. the oil ring is made up of 3 or more parts, with a thin rail section on the top and bottom of a seperating flexible ring. The thin rails should not be installed together, though it would be easier to do so.

RUMBLEFISH
I've decided to pull the engine and take out the piston and check. I really didn't want to do this but I think I would only be fooling myself into hoping I did it right only to do some major damage.