Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs 23D oil level

ketchk

im working on a old landlord with a briggs 23D engine here is a question it has a dipstick for the oil about 3 inches long with the standard cross hatch pattern but no line to indicate full is it full at 1/2 3/4 or the top of the pattern thanks Andy

Your 23D has a dip stick? Hummmmm, mine don't. Can someone explain this? Should it have one? Where are you at Zippo, I know you have a few of these around.

UPDATED ENGINE LOOKS JUST LIKE THE OLDER 23D HAS THE OLD STYLE CARB MOUNT FOR THE STARTER GENERATOR you have a newer engine? im thinkin model 233400 THATS WHAT I HAVE i bought a b-10 with a updated engine it has a steel tube with a steel dipstich atached to the cap theres a notch on the dipstick any questions send me a email

Here are a few pics of what i talking about [IMG]http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af133/ketchk/OLd%20tractors/IMGP0981.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af133/ketchk/OLd%20tractors/IMGP0980.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af133/ketchk/OLd%20tractors/IMGP0977.jpg[/IMG]

heres what i would do change the oil put in 2 quarts of oil mark on dipstick where full is then your good mine has a steel rod. yours looks like it might be plastic? keep smiling

you are right its a plastic dipstick my magneto went bad no spark im waiting for the replacement i was shocked about 100.00 for it and was told its hard to find

I'd bet that disptick is not an original briggs part, just something borrowed because it was lying around and the threads fit. Factory instructions are to fill until overflowing from the top of the tube on your oil pan. There wansn't orginally a dipstick.

The 23d take 2 qts regardless of the level. Mine fills up but does not overflow . Make sure you are level and not leaning toward the fill tube. The had a cap, but not a dipstick. I have seen a lot 23d in 64 Landlord when they came from the factory and they had caps.

the camera icon is the 12th icon over in the reply box just above where it says color. If you put your cursur on it it says insert image url. it looks like this [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/images/icon_editor_image.gif[/img] you use it to insert the image brackets for posting pictures.

Question in the top of (Show and tell) it says to use the paperclip icon to post a pic and that is what ive been doing is the posting rules different from one discussion form to the other. am i to use the paper clip or the camera icon now im confused Andy

Andy If you are posting photos from another site (which you are doing) use the camera icon for the image brackets. If you are going to upload a picture from your computer to this site to post you use the paper clip icon.

Thanks for clearing that up Maynard, I didn't realize that when post a picture from another site that the camera icon is used (and I've been here a long time!B)). jh

The camera Icon automaticly inserts the image backets and spacing between the pictures [ br ][ img ][ /img ][ br ] (with out the spaces) You can do this manualy by typing your own img brackets [ img ][ /img ] (with out the spaces) and putting each set of img brackets on its own line, not side by side. Most people put the img brackets side by side and the pictures post side by side 2, 3, 4, and more pictures wide. The reason most people don't see this is because myself or one of the other moderators has all ready fixed the post as I had to do in this thread and several others.

This is a new project and test for how to post a pic from another site
[IMG]http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af133/ketchk/Airplane%20ride/Picture158.jpg[/IMG]

quote:
Originally posted by Storm7012
Just seems like an odd way to put it, don't you think?
I have never been able to get 2 quarts in the one with the fill tube in the pan. On my tractors they seem to overfill before two quarts.

quote:
I have never been able to get 2 quarts in the one with the fill tube in the pan. On my tractors they seem to overfill before two quarts.
Same with mine Ray..........