Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
xenon172

Cleaning Off Old Oil?

xenon172
Opened up an engine today and found some of the dirtiest oil I have ever seen. I think it had been in that engine for 20 years. After I got the sludge out the inside of the case is discolored dark brown to black. Carb cleaner won't touch it. Anybody have a recommendation on what will clean this off. The case is Aluminum

Vassal
I'm a big fan of Purple Power, but it's brutal on the skin, eyes, etc. It might stain some aluminum parts too. It works awesome when heated, but the fumes need to be addressed.

toomanytractors
You might try Acetone which is available at hardware stores. Make sure it won't eat into the aluminum. Also try Brakekleen.

BLT
Depending on what has to be cleaned, Briggs said use boiling water and a good detergent, like dish soap, then rinse with hot water and drip dry.

Architectdave
take it to your local transmission shop and give them 20 to run it thru the cleaning tank. usually takes a day and its as clean as it will ever be short of media blasting it.

timflury
I have a Harbor Freight 20 gallon tank filled with two gallons of Simple Green diluted with 18 gallons of water. I leave my parts soak for at least a day and they come out looking like new and the smell isn't unpleasant. I have my tank in my basement. After pulling the parts out, I rinse off the parts in my stationary tub in the basement and towel dry.

xenon172
quote:
Originally posted by jlasater
If you clean everything with carb or brake clean, does it matter if a stain is left? It won't hurt anything.
This is a good point if I knew for a fact that running the engine would not dissolve whatever is left of the stain with use in the future and would that hurt anything if it did.