Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snow Plan

HubbardRA

My wife caught me just as I had started to implement my plan for today's snow storm.

I have a warm cup of coffee, am sitting on the screened in back porch I built last summer and have covered the screen with plastic sheet for the winter, have an electric heater running, and my laptop at SimpleTrACtors. What better way to get through a snow storm?

"What better way to get through a snow storm?" Lose the jacket and stay in the house. :D Seriously, it's a nice porch. I've enjoyed it with Rod when I visited him. :)

When it is 21 degrees outside, it is hard to get the porch warm enough to sit around without a coat. Glass, thin plastic sheet, and no insulation in the ceiling, do not make for a really warm room at low temperatures. Even though it is warm, staying in a dark house can get boring very quick. I have to get outside and do something. Can't stay inside all the time. Tomorrow I am going to help an 84 year old guy down the street clear his driveway with his walk behind snowblower which I repaired last week. After we finish his, I will do my driveway with the walk-behind blower, then do another 90 year old lady's driveway. I'll be busy tomorrow. I got out today and blew the snow off my front stoop and steps with a leaf blower. Surprising how well that works when you have dry fluffy snow.

"....sniffles a bit as he looks outside and realizes there will be no more snow here this year, and the snowblower didn't even get to turn an auger in anger."

....."What better way to get through a snowstorm?"....with a cab on your blower tractor, of course!!:D:D

Snowblower is in the hut, tractor has a mower and vacuum on it, and I don't have a cab. Not worth the effort to put them together this late in the season. Not enough snow and too light and fluffy to use the FEL. I drank coffee and watched it fall. Tomorrow I will clean up the driveway with neighbor's blower. Since I have a Sears blower that I converted to be used on my 716H, that is the only tractor it fits right now, and that happens to be the one with the mower and vacuum. My 713S blew a BGB and I only recently got it working. I can't use it with the blower because there is no pulley setup to drive the blower, and the large 26x12x12 tires make the tractor wider than the 36 inch blower. It will be quicker to use the neighbor's unit than to change the attachments on mine. Supposed to be 34 degrees and sunny tomorrow.

Well Rod, at least when 'the wife' caught you she didn't get the broom and run you out the door to clean the walk, must have a woman worth keeping:D

Hey Rod, I like your approach to the snow. I got a chance to use that 42" blower yesterday, she worked like a champ. only thing is, I got the cab on the wrong tractor:(. jh

Good thinking on using the neighbors unit..Taking the path of least resistance works pretty well for me too!!

The snowblower plan did not work out to clean up the 10 inches of snow we got. One trip down the neighbor's driveway and a cotter pin snapped letting the jackshaft loose on one end and damaging the main gear to the drive wheels. I put the shaft back in and a new cotter pin. Did another drip down the driveway, and the gears went completly out. I ended up shoveling half of his driveway (he is 84 years old), then I shoveled my driveway, and after that I helped another guy shovel the driveway for the 90 year old lady across the street. I am done now, sitting in front of the TV with a glass of wine, and do not plan to do anything else today. Had a nice day yesterday while the snow was falling, but a not-so-nice day today cleaning up.

Well Rod, if a person really goofed off doing it ya might kill half an hour removing the deck and mounting the snow blower, so, I'm guessin you just felt a need for a bit of a work out without going to the gym. :D:D:D

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
When it is 21 degrees outside, it is hard to get the porch warm enough to sit around without a coat. Glass, thin plastic sheet, and no insulation in the ceiling, do not make for a really warm room at low temperatures. Even though it is warm, staying in a dark house can get boring very quick. I have to get outside and do something. Can't stay inside all the time. Tomorrow I am going to help an 84 year old guy down the street clear his driveway with his walk behind snowblower which I repaired last week. After we finish his, I will do my driveway with the walk-behind blower, then do another 90 year old lady's driveway. I'll be busy tomorrow. I got out today and blew the snow off my front stoop and steps with a leaf blower. Surprising how well that works when you have dry fluffy snow.
I Wisconsin, they're called "Three season" rooms, or "Florida" rooms, or "Sun porches". I'd be happy sitting out there ANY time of year!