Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Big Ten steering wheel trouble..big trouble

hotshot77

On the Big Ten and I am sure others under the cap there is a allen head set screw that recesses into the wheel.I was going too remove the wheel too paint it when I got too the screw i found the right allen head for my ratchet sprayed well with PB about 30min before taking it out put it on turn and SNAP:O..I have tried every drill bit I have and bought a titanium bit nothing will touch it.The allen tool broke of flush in the hole and there is nothing too grab too try and pick it out.All my bits do nothing and the titanium bit melted.Can any of you guys tell me what will penetrate the hardened steel of that bit or another method of getting it out.Thanks Johnsm02

Boy thats a tough one. I have had some luck using a hi-speed air grinder with a round diamond bit. Use it like a drill and go as deep as you can then use a easy out, you might get lucky. I've also used a carbide burr to grind out the allen set screw. Then you have to drill it out one size larger to tap for the next size. Good luck.

This might be the ideal set up for a "paint the wheel on the tractor after masking off properly" type of situation. It goes hand in hand with the "I'll worry about the allen wrench in the future when I absolutely HAVE to take the wheel off" procrastination decision that I know I would be great at! :D

Seriously however, would you be able to cut the entire head of the allen bolt off, allen wrench and all? Dremel tool, etc. You could then remove the wheel and perhaps get a vice grips on the remainder of the bolt. Or drill the bolt out and tap the shaft again? Just a thought.

No can do Brett it broke flush inside the hole.I need a really good bit or or rotary cutting head for my dremel or drill.I have no idea what too try next.I broke all of mine.B)

how about drilling down from the top rite at the seam where the shaft and the wheel hub meet at the allen screw location pull the wheel off and re drill and tap in another spot dOd

Put a good puller on the steering wheel and pull the wheel off. Once it is off point the set screw down and tap the back side with a hammer. Lots of time it will come out that way. Then you can drill the the set screw out if nessary. Bob